Crude Oil Distillation Help Consultation

This was the kind and informative comment that lad came for :rofl:. Good on you.

I am curious on if you always must decarb before running crude. Is there any scenario you suggest running something that’s not been decarbed?

Crude in my understanding is a broad term meaning “the starting material you haven’t distilled yet”

Also I have same question with winterizing. Is it 100% always required? Is there ever a situation you’d Suggest not winterizing?

Winterizing to my knowledge is removing fats/lipids from your extract or crude

(Probably already been covered)

(I run a Prescott wipe film setup)

(I’ve decarbed BHO and ran it successfully)

(Have a roto and ethanol but most of my material is either FF. I have access to trash/trim/floor buds too and want to utilize it. I’m thinking I want to run the dry stuff through ethanol and into distillation. But is there a benefit of doing that instead of running it through butane and decarbing it then?)

Thankful for you goons!

Yep.

Yep. We load our decarbed crude into carts…

Decarb before distill is a requirement. The CO2 produced by decarb will make pulling vacuum non-trivial in an spd, and cause splashing in a wiper.

Throughput is better with EtOH, but if you’re already doing BHO-> wfe then it may be less work to continue down that road.

1 Like

Thank you,

Always decarb your input oil, noted.

I worded my post funky, is there a situation where you don’t need to winterize?

We have not winterized at all (but we use only fresh frozen right now which should prevent fats)?

I want to start using the dried material/trim that I have access to. That’s why I was debating on starting up me rotovap and using etoh and then winterizing.

I do have access to an apeks CO2 setup BUT my lab had a safety incident before hiring me on with that one, and I am not trying to learn that untill all our other equipment is running safely and steadily. And I view the etoh and roto as a safer bet for now.

(I still have more research to do!! I gotta practice reading before posting. So much to learn🤣)

1 Like

Reading before posting is helpful, but if you’re new and don’t know the lingo, or how to query, it can be frustrating.

Imo, more important is reading AFTER you post, and responding to the follow up questions invariably required to get at the solution.

You can lead a horse to a fire hydrant, but experience says many will spook the moment you turn the #^>€€ing thing on…

Eg: @eatbroccoli94 didn’t do their due diligence before purchasing an spd, and posted looking for an assist…but they don’t seem to have come back and done the required reading to dig themselves out of that hole.

:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

If it’s all you got, you can make crude IN a short path.

Although purchasing a Graham condenser is recommended

See: Ethanol recovery using Graham condenser under vacuum @ 40C

As recommended previously, Bucket Tek (Cold Ethanol Extraction on a Budget) is a decent place to start.

a clever bugger could probably use stuff learned over in Optimizing your RotoVap to continuously feed a 2l spd the required 10+ gallons of tincture.

A really clever one might even grok how to set that up to dump the recovered solvent directly into a keg.

…and, you can even extract 7kg IN a keg

So for $200 (and 5kg of weed) you could be on your way…

1 Like