Critique my mason jar diamond SOP

Update:

I ran 21000g of fresh frozen and jarred them into 7 mason jars that were about 3/4 full of solution. They’ve already begun to crash out a puck at the bottom (which I don’t like, id like to slowly grow larger stones).

To me this means I have too much TCH in solution and need to dilute with more butane on my next run.

Does anyone agree or disagree?

2 Likes

there is literally hours worth of reading information on this site alone when it comes to diamond making, not sure you’re not using the information readily available…

3/4 full jar of butane/propane is wayy too much btw

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing, I have been reading and I’m here to have productive conversation centered on constructive criticism of the posted SOP.

Too full of solution? So you’d suggest filling the jar closer to 1/2 or 1/3rd full of solution? Or do you mean I have too much TCH in my solution?

Here is what this SOP has given me on the run before last. But the last run sugared up right away and it was the same SOP and same biomass.

Looking to learn not argue or measure.

And here is what my most recent run sugared up into overnight and as we extracted.

1 Like

THC. But yeah, little crystals means over-saturated/evaporating too fast.

… “next run” implies you missed the part where crystals also dissolve, and haven’t wrapped your head around Oswald ripening either. Ponder those.

How much solvent did you recover before pouring those jars.

If you leave too much, it will evaporate, cool your solvent, and drop sand….

Did you pour all the jars at the same saturation? Did that increase or decrease your search space?

2 Likes

yeah but why are you trying to R&D an SOP for something that there are literally a half dozen sops on this site already of with shown results?
not hating just genuinely curious as to why lol

but yeah too much solvent, if doing straight out the tap i wouldnt go higher than 1/4 personally, others go even less, looks like you might be cold crashing? if you are dont bother. just cap once you reach the proper saturation level and leave at room temp for 24-48 hours then go into an 80f oven.

i dunno man, i guess as long as youre having fun? lol

1 Like

Many thanks, that makes sense that it’ll cool rapidly if its evaporating too fast., and if it gets too cold it’ll want to crash out into sugar. This is a big help to me.

First run gave me some pretty decent diamonds, I was content with but the next run is what sugared out. ReX is a great call and I have not spent any time with it and need to so thank you. Id plan to just take the jars I have, split weights in half, and refill jars with clean butane to redissolve. Looking into Oswald ripening now many thanks!

I didnt recover a ton. I dont have weights since it was 7 bags that got ran and then at the end I added butane into my collection column and extracted. My estimate is that I left maybe 5-7 lbs of butane in solution (per the 21000g extracted of FF).

This I do believe I did equally. I used the spout on the bottom of our collection column. At first it came out very syrupy and chucky and then a top layer of “wet” solvent and I equally dispensed these two sections into the jars.

Today We are trying the extraction in lighter batches every few bags to keep that solvent/THC ratio higher.

I know I’ve fully read the “Diamond miner”, “Pyrex pan diamonds tech?”, “YOC Dirty diamond tek-THCa isolation from crude”, “Fast diamonds vs slow diamonds, which is better? Why?”, and “making diamonds that dont form a puck”.

I’m open to links to other threads that you think are helpful to you or if there are sections of the mentioned threads that you found helpful that it looks like I missed please let me know.

Frankly this is just how I learn. I try to read up on the subject for 5-10 hours by myself. I regurgitate what I learned in a way that I understand and in my posts that I can refer to easily, and let you smart people tell me what I’m not understanding yet.

No disrespect to anyone.

1 Like

You can see nucleation with a flashlight…

4 Likes

dont know why you think this, i have filled hundreds of 1L jars all the way, maybe an inch or two of headspace with great success.

1 Like

yeah but you actually know what you’re doing. massive difference lol

1 Like

I think I agree with this. I was putting in too much solvent, it was evaporating fast making my solution cold and I was cold crashing.

incorrect. most people pour heavy and let it evaporate at room temp until it reaches its proper saturation level.

also cold pours are good.

cold crashing is generally done in a freezer.

2 Likes

you pour really wet and you definitely get evaporative cooling and can crash sugar.

2 Likes

yeah thats why you do it a few times and learn how heavy to pour lol

judging by his replies where he said his pour were starting thick and he says he recovers to 0psi i’m leaning towards that he didnt pour heavy enough to cold crash.

maybe he did i dunno. either way, just like anything after a few runs you get dialed in.

2 Likes

This is for sure what is happening. I believe I mis-spoke on calling it cold crashing. I was not trying to cold crash but having it explained like this was helpful.

Definitely correct. I was not trying to cold crash but may give cold crashing on Dry ice a first try today, good to know it needs to be heavier for this and wetter for room temp crashing.

I’m very thankful for all the help. I will get about 10 more runs in and come back to share my results and what I’ve learned, then Ill let the thread rest.

1 Like

Hey Hive mind,

I’m here to post some of the results for the mentioned SOP.

(Ran BHO fresh frozen as cold as I could, I ran down the extract until it was MCT oil like viscosity (wetter than honey), capped pretty darn soon after pouring, burped (carefully with safety glasses and in a booth) once or twice on the extraction day, and once a day or 2 after, then let sit in the dark at room temp for 3 weeks and this is where we are at)

Thank you all for your advice and criticism (especially the kind ones!).

Ill let this thread sleep now.

<3

6 Likes