Creative solvent systems for crystallization

So I’ve been reading a little bit about using what’s called a “bridging liquid” for crystallization.

I’d like to learn how to apply this to thca let’s see what we can come up with as a proposed procedure:

Dissolve thca in a good solvent
(ethanol, methanol, Acetone, isopropyl, water ph 13…)

Add good solvent solution to a poor solvent.
(Butane, pentane, heptane, terpenes, water…)
The two solvents should be miscible. The affinity between the 2 solvents should be stronger than the affinity between the good solvent and the thca. This should cause instant precipitation of thca.

A third solvent called the bridging liquid is added. The bridging liquid should be immiscible with the poor solvent and should wet the precipitated thca.

For compounds that are soluble in one or more organic solvents, water is used as the poor solvent and a water-immiscible organic solvent as the bridging liquid.

What do you guys think the best solvent system could be to try this out?

12 Likes

butane(pentane) , propane(isobutane) , and water

3 Likes

I like this one.

2 Likes

Heptane/pentane? Well, other way around

2 Likes

less long chain, more short chain.

2 Likes

Sounds kind of similar to the crystallization method posted by @AlexSiegel with the water layer on bottom

2 Likes

I think blended solvent systems can create various polymorphs

4 Likes

The paper I was reading about this in was talking about the creation of crystals of “spherical agglomeration”

1 Like

The problem is ‘affinity’ for nonpolars amounts to transient Van der Waals interactions which tend to only vary in proportion to the chain length/surface area of the molecule.

1 Like

This might be slightly irrelevant, but I have observed that I can make layers of the same solvent at different thca saturation levels so long as the layers are undisturbed. Anyways just thought I’d mention it in case the layering has any usefulness to something like this.

2 Likes

Dissolve noid in acetone/pentane
Or if already supersaturated dissolved in an alkane add some acetone
Cool this solution if you want to achieve maximum yield of precipitation
Once well mixed start adding water dropwise while mixing
This will make the noid fall out of solution

7 Likes