Crc r&d

Do you recommend connecting the chiller directly to the CRC column or in-line with the solvent tank chiller? At what temperature?

I wouldn’t recommend chilling the solution going through the crc. It could clog and most likely will reduce filtration rate

1 Like

all my CRC columns are jacketed…

ab/adsorption is temperature dependent. if you really want consistency in your CRC, controlling the temperature doesn’t seem like a bad idea.

when using ethanol as your solvent, COLD is clearly important, but I’ve never chilled my CRC for hydrocarbon use.

seems more like Q&A than R&D…less y’alls coming back to tell us what you did and how it worked.

6 Likes

Yea temperature affects oil viscosity and adsorption kinetics. It improves oil/clay interactions and the flow. The optimal temperature I found to work best for hydrocarbons is between 15-30c

6 Likes

sounds hard to hit that in an open Buchner :joy:

5 Likes

Extract cold, warm it up in a second column?

Feels weird extracting warm, but I can’t deny most of the literature I’ve read on bleaching earths suggests they work best at warmer temps

The problem is not in the solvent being warm it’s in the solvent being able to soak in the biomass that causes color/clarity issues. A second vessel to act as your Buffer tank is needed to prevent the soak

However if you must run cold then yes a second vessel to warm up prior to crc will help

4 Likes

I have started running the second tank right underneath my material column. Then into crc, then into collection

2 Likes

Be pretty easy to turn my second material column into a buffer column of sorts. I like this. I’ll give it a shot soon, appreciate the info.

I was already not fond of my residence time as I pushed through the CRC.

1 Like

Do you shoot room temp then open top and bottom valves of material columns to vacuumed buffer?