Crc overheating

So the more I think about it, vapor flow will cause it to heat up, the powders being less permeable, dont heat up because the vapor flow is slow, I think @Slabby is right. Friction from the vapor flow is causing the heat?

2 Likes

At least something along those lines. I swear a couple times in the past my crc got warm from vac. I guessed it to be byproduct of friction or something like that

3 Likes

You almost have a chernobyl incident

5 Likes

It was extremely hot. So hot I really felt like I was gonna blow any sec. And the vapor flow was minute I had just opened my dump valve and was beginning to soak through the DE. I’d say about 10 sec of vapor flow got it that hot. I have the opaline touching down any day now Ima have to test this further just in case to warn the beginners before anybody gets hurt. At least add it to the label.

7 Likes

Thats scary af.
I always thought it was friction in my nos tank filter heating it up also and that is cold ass vapors.

1 Like

Thinking of adding carbon into my jacket and blowing air through it now to heat up my jacket…10 sec got that shit burning maybe I can reach decarb temps in my Decarburator now lol…just a vac pump pulling air through it

2 Likes

Have you ever held some mol sieves in your hand and dripped water into them? This is a fun way to burn your coworkers (“educationally”) and to check if they’re still active.

5 Likes

I havent, do they get that hot?

2 Likes

Some people drop their hand immediately. I’ve seen some Gs hold it and say yeah it’s hot. Try it out, it’s hot but it’s not put you in the hospital hot.

2 Likes

Toss a bead or 2 in your mouth

4 Likes

Dont do that lol

7 Likes

I had this reaction the other day with a column of alumina. I added a splash of water to the column and noticed the column was extremely hot

2 Likes

Was the alumina granular?

That sounds so scary I would have wanted to run lol.

100% certain it is not “friction”…

@NewLevelProcess and their buddy Dr G have it right.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/290298459_Dynamic_analysis_of_adsorption_behaviour_of_n-butane_in_granular_activated_carbon

This indicated that adsorption of n-butane in activated carbon was an exothermic reaction.

8 Likes

sounds like granular carbon in your collection pot is a next level speed hack

1 Like

I agree + oh wow, so carbon that has a molecular pore size big/small enough for butane to get trapped will result in a shitton of heat. Moral of the story is check the pore size of your carbon before you run it in CRC?

1 Like

No, no… Boom boom…

almost certain that simply can’t happen without O2.
…still wouldn’t play that game.

:chicken:

5 Likes

A tri-clamp can only hold so much pressure.

Also, a surprising number of people don’t purge their system of O2 before running (eek). Would that amount of O2 be sufficient to ignite?

1 Like