Crc overheating

Have you ever held some mol sieves in your hand and dripped water into them? This is a fun way to burn your coworkers (“educationally”) and to check if they’re still active.

5 Likes

I havent, do they get that hot?

2 Likes

Some people drop their hand immediately. I’ve seen some Gs hold it and say yeah it’s hot. Try it out, it’s hot but it’s not put you in the hospital hot.

2 Likes

Toss a bead or 2 in your mouth

4 Likes

Dont do that lol

7 Likes

I had this reaction the other day with a column of alumina. I added a splash of water to the column and noticed the column was extremely hot

2 Likes

Was the alumina granular?

That sounds so scary I would have wanted to run lol.

100% certain it is not “friction”…

@NewLevelProcess and their buddy Dr G have it right.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/290298459_Dynamic_analysis_of_adsorption_behaviour_of_n-butane_in_granular_activated_carbon

This indicated that adsorption of n-butane in activated carbon was an exothermic reaction.

8 Likes

sounds like granular carbon in your collection pot is a next level speed hack

1 Like

I agree + oh wow, so carbon that has a molecular pore size big/small enough for butane to get trapped will result in a shitton of heat. Moral of the story is check the pore size of your carbon before you run it in CRC?

1 Like

No, no… Boom boom…

almost certain that simply can’t happen without O2.
…still wouldn’t play that game.

:chicken:

5 Likes

A tri-clamp can only hold so much pressure.

Also, a surprising number of people don’t purge their system of O2 before running (eek). Would that amount of O2 be sufficient to ignite?

1 Like

we usually worry about the lower explosive limit. there is also an upper explosive limit. you need a shit ton of air to go boom.

all bets are off if you add straight O2

5 Likes

I see, so likely no boom, but still maybe the steel giving out. So safety features would need to be extensive

1 Like

Was shocked when i saw this also.

Even better, don’t use carbon.

4 Likes

Probably the best solution yet :rofl:

1 Like

We know it loves thca under our conditions. And it’s also a deodorizer. Granular not as much as an issue, but it’s also harder to filter. Carbon is just a pain

1 Like