CRC Media: Detailed Comparisons and New Products

With CRC very rapidly gaining attention and modifications, I’ve noticed several different companies advertising proprietary filtration medias. In this thread I would like to kindle a discussion about the different medias, their overall usefulness, specific properties and utilization. As well as, these new medias and their best discernable safety profile.

Everyone knows there’s a lot of Tom foolery in the business. When stuff like this gets rapidly popular, there’s always some dirtbag that could care less about public safety and will take any chance to capitalize on a fad. The people here are the primary users of these medias, and there are a lot of processors that will use something that works well, but isn’t safe to use. The thickeners and viscosity agents are a perfect example.

That being said, to the best of my recollection of my reading, B80 seemed to be the ideal media in my mind, because it doesn’t require several other medias being stacked in a specific order. I have to worry about teaching lab techs, so, the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle seems ideal.

I have also seen a product called Clearly Scientific that I wonder about, but as mentioned before, I don’t trust the safety profile of.

https://clearlyscientific.bigcartel.com/product/clarifying-agent-sample-size

Thanks for any and all input on the subject. This seems like a good time to start organizing some of this information here, before it gets harder to wrangle.

10 Likes

B80 doesn’t grab all the undesirables, just a certain class of them. I’ve always gotten better results when mixing b80 with t-5 and supreme55.

4 Likes

I’ve not heard of supreme55, is that a specific brand of media then?

3 Likes

I believe supreme55 and b80 are both from pure-flo. I use their perform 6000 as my one powder solution.

8 Likes

yes, the 55 is pH 3. B81 is 4.4. B80 is 7.2

Another product line slides the pH further acidic to 2.5 over several gradients.

I’ll post on this thread — all NSF / kosher verified certified adsorbents etc.

We’ve been getting a lot of chatter about celite - insurance companies and Co are not covering this product in a throughtput to inhalation. OSHA also states issue related.
This is a great post, want to make sure we are providing the community with the best information but also safe and effective materials and products.
Be weary of those who sell Celite 545 etc.
while we can discuss if it’s acceptable, the reality is that it will not be covered by insurance companies if It is connected in any way to smokable / inhalation products. So what does that tell you?

13 Likes

Here is a handy chart from the Pure Flo website that @Waxplug1 has posted before:

I currently get the best results from T41 (ph3, 10% carbon), but I have noticed a negative variance in the newest batch of this product that has recently been released from Carbon Chemistry (which I’ll make a post about later) and I’m looking for an alternative.

Has anyone switched from T41 to Supremem 55 that is willing to discuss the results? I had the idea to try and mix in a slight amount of carbon to the S55 to make a cheaper T41 replica. I’m currently waiting on some S55 to arrive.

Another thing I’m highly interested in is how the CRC flow rate corresponds to the particle size of the clay used. I think this might be a key factor for us to consider. Larger particle sizes may require more clay to be as effective but could also increase the flow rate (and production rate) significantly.

In the Pure Flo chart pictured above, does anyone understand what the bottom row of data means? I’m a little confused. It lists a percentage and the description says " Particle size, US Standard Sieve: Through 325 mesh (<45 micron) wt %.

Does this mean the listed percentage is the amount of the product that would fit through a 45 micron screen? I notice that the Supreme 55 has the smallest percentage by far at 46%.

4 Likes

I think opaline silica needs to be mentioned

I think that’s what clearly scientific is using

I’m waiting on @Shadownaught to get some in to do some testing

@Photon_noir dropped this gold mine at the GLG meetup on day 3 in vegas

He showed me which vendor has it, it’s only for bho and it’s cheaper then any media

I guess it’s a 1 media solution too

13 Likes

@Tech1145 I use supreme55 instead of t-41 because I specifically dislike using carbon due to it’s unselective nature. Works great.
@Kingofthekush420 I guess @CuriousChemist22 and I left before the knowledge sesh began huh?

6 Likes

I did too, photon just told me about it before I left.

I was done by day 3 lol

4 Likes

That sounds sick! do you know what the difference is and why it’s supposed to be better? Who’s carrying it i’d like to try it out.

2 Likes

@Krative Thanks for the input. Are you saying the S55 worked as a direct drop in replacement for T41 with the same color remediation effect? I have noticed in my R&D that T41 (low ph bentonite and 10% carbon) will give a more “water clear” result versus T5 (neutral ph bentonite). I have been wondering if that effect is due to the 10% carbon, the low ph bentonite, or both. That’s why I’m eager to try some low ph bentonite on it’s own.

I called and asked Carbon Chem if the low ph clay they use in T41 could be sourced without the carbon and was told no.

I don’t notice too much of a yield loss in the T41 vs T5. I notice the majority of the lost yield seems to be dependent on the amount of silica used. I run a lot of CRC columns and always weigh the powders before and after, giving them a full day to disperse any residual solvent trapping within.

@Kingofthekush420 I have been hearing murmurs about opaline silica, better known as hydrated silica. I believe its basically the same silicon dioxide as the silica gel we currently use, just with a variable amount of waters of hydration in the formula. I’m interested but remain skeptical as always until experimental data starts to come in.

What exactly are the claims about its use?

The world of bleaching clays and adsorbents/absobents is a big one so it’s possible there are many paths to the results we’re looking for.

5 Likes

Oil dri opaline silica

You cant find it online

You need to call their rep

@Shadownaught has some coming in I believe

It’s only for use with BHO

Ethanol will dissolve this silica I guess or something

5 Likes

Sick! do you still need to use B80 or t-5 with it for best results? or can you ditch the clays? seems like the terps would come out better with the opaline silica

1 Like

What is the benefit of using the silica vs the clays?

2 Likes

Price point & single magic powder to hand to minions.

Works too…

Never got to use this dual cart version with it though.

Those 3x18 are sized to redeem about 25lb of mids each. Inputs for four columns.

Designed for recirculation, so you can tune the color.

Edit: constructed with parts on hand. Separate quick release vac port and PRV with manual release.

13 Likes

@Waxplug1 I would like to know this as well. What exactly did Photon say about this product? We don’t have much information to be jumping to any conclusions yet. By the way did you ever try any Trisil silica? I saw you mention that on IG but it’s hard to tell from Grace’s website if it is hydrated “opaline” silica or not.

Check wikipedia for hydrated silica guys. Hydrated silica is found in nature as opal. Opaline silica is hydrated silica. I believe this is a very common product and not some rare, special unicorn.

@J12 what is your basis for saying “seems like the terps would come out better with opaline silica”?

Did you read king’s post saying he’s waiting to get some? I don’t think anyone has enough data to tell you if you can “ditch the clays”.

4 Likes

Yeah we are getting test batches of the new new, and beginning pack down for B80 as well.

Carbon Chem is continuing the mission of one-stop supply chain for distributors in 2020.

16 Likes

I just meant that if you could use the opal silica in place of clays the terps might come out better?

As soon as you get some for testing, give me a shout and send some my way.

My new filter is going down to 0.2 micron and I haven’t noticed any flow difference, or anything else being caught by it.

Have you seen those guys selling the pre-loaded media cartridges? I guess they are about $70 a run

8 Likes

Do you know what the advantage of the opal vs the S60 would be?