Cover crop & rotations on hemp farm

I grew just short of 200 acres (rented) throughout southern Oregon in ‘19 and one of my largest regrets is not utilizing any of our intermediate space for production of other crops or plants.

I’m seeking input from others on ways that my family and I can break free from monocrop culture while increasing farm profitability on our own farm. Over the next year, I’d like to develop a more sustainable SOP for large scale production.

My family and I recently bought a home with a small 15 acre hemp field in west Medford. The soil is beautiful dark clay loam that supported an appealingly successful hemp crop. We’re going in shortly with some winter oats, rye, clover, turnip, and kale for winter.

I’d like to design a system that maintains our focus on medicinal hemp, but ideally involves more than one cash crop. It’s tragic to me to not utilize our resources to develop intermediate food or forage crops.

The canna-hemp is surely an interesting proposition, but I think we can all make more money and make a more positive impact by transitioning ourselves into sustainably raising food.

Thanks in advance for the discussion and input!

1 Like

You will benefit the soil more by tilling in your cover crop to feed the soil rather than your pockets just my opinion…doesnt mean you cant mix in some food to harvest and feed your family and friends tho.

1 Like