Could use a nugget

Maybe I’m the worst search bar enthusiast, but I’ve been searching for days…
I’m trying to find an efficient way of extracting Kief in mass. Our best system is setup for bho, so that would be ideal. However, I can quickly revamp for eth, or heptane.
Looking to run 50-150 units of end product per 12 hour shift.
Any expertise would be great!
Also final product is sugar, and badder

Layer it with (clean) stainless steel wool?

Kief in a bho rig is a nightmare
If the layer is to thick clogging is very common
So you need to make sure that at no time you have layers over 3 “ thick
Adding pre cleaned steel wool as suggested by @pdxcanna is indeed a way to go althou I prefure polypropylene filter cloth 1/2” thick
Air filtration material cur these in the internal diameter of your biomass tube and fill kief 2” a layer of filter cloth kief etc etc
It s tricky and a pole which can center your filtercloth makes it easier
Unpacking these blasted tubes is another thingy and I would recomend a high solvent amount use for if the ratio of solvent is low you have a big chance of having residue/kief on the walls
And lastly make sure your kief is well dry
Bubble hasj often looks dry but is not
For it will lower your extraction efficiency
Good luck and be safe

4 Likes

What’s the weight of a unit ?? 1 lbs 1 kg ?
This will depend on. Quality of starting material

6x 30lb trim atlas columns per run was how we were running. Planning on changing as needed for kief.
Sorry, 1lb

1 Like

I haven’t run into much issues with clogging so far, currently I pull at -60c and yeilds seem super low, so first just looking to fully extract. I’ve been washing with tane, 120lbs to 15lbs Kief to start and then an additional 20-40lbs until it runs clear. Almost feels like its struggles to dissolve into tane (250um 6 month old from machine trim) but maybe I was just running shitty kief. Trying better Kief tomorrow(170um 1 month old from indoor trim)

1 Like

12-15 lbs of kief seems to be a lot to ask of an Atlas. A lot of solute to ask of your solvent. When your yields are low with that much kief, you may well be disposing of a lot of good material (which took a lot of expensive indoor energy to grow) when you empty your material columns. Well done on avoiding clogs. Tomorrow’s month-old indoor trim may put out some tasty badder relative to 6mo old machine trim kief. Please, post with how things go tomorrow and any other changes you make to your methods. Love to see a pic of that badder when it’s ready too.

I forgot to mention that clogging is one but channeling the other isseu you might encounter so do a botom flood to make sure this is minimal

8 Likes

Everything seems to running alright, was massive increase in yields of fresher stuff. Now to find how best to fully extract. Got a bit more than I’d like off a partial rewash. Gonna fiddle to see if washing additional tane straight thru(rather than filling and rewashing) yields similarly. I’ll also give bottom fill a shot. Only been doing 6-7lbs kief to 120ish tane recently. Once I have yields dialed, I’m guessing I’ll have to adjust my crc’s to allow better flow if I want to make it more saturated. Bentonites are the death of me.

1 Like

Moved up to 15lb K to 120 of tane with a soak and saw good results.
For some reason running inside 150 micron socks yielded almost zero. However, upon removing the sock, that immediately changed.
Still thinking a typical column would better fit the application over spinners, but beggars can’t be choosers.