Copper lines vs stainless

All
Is there any reasons besides cleanliness to use stainless steel tubing vs type L copper tubing for solvent transferring?
Thank you

material compatibility.

1 Like

So butane propane etc will eat the copper?

I think the issue is copper oxidizes over time and that oxidation could get into the extracts?

1 Like

ph, temperature, and anything dissolved in your solvent may change the accuracy of this table.

1 Like

Thank you all. Wishing copper was a suitable fit as I have access to a total of it. But definitely do not want junk in my wax.

Love this place wish I could contribute more maybe some day.

1 Like

Would a copper valve on ones collection pot lid only for pressure testing be an issue? (Only has an air compressor fitting on it)

Here’s what greywolf had to say about it way back in the day:

“I also use stainless and copper columns as necessary. It isn’t the copper that is reacting with the butane; it is the copper oxide that is of concern. Commercial butane still has some sulfur left in it, which is converted to H2S04 (sulfuric acid) and attacks copper. Butane by itself does not. I simply use high quality butane and make sure that the copper stays oxide free.”

2 Likes

we have had interesting reactions with some copper heat exchangers and some solvent/extract mixtures.

always run a cleaning cycle on any product contact surface in your shutdown procedure.

3 Likes