Conversion of CBDV Isolate into THCV

I am a novice when it comes to chemistry and am curious what can be done with CBDV isolate.

I have access to close to 99% pure CBDV isolate and would love to explore the possibility of converting it into THCV.

I am familiar with the processes for converting CBD Isolate into D8-THC. Is this possible with CBDV?

I am also curious if we currently have any scientific understanding of THCV isomers, specifically if a CBDV conversion to THCV(if possible) would yield something like a D8 isomer instead of D9?

Thanks Cannafam.

7 Likes

The propyl cannabinoids only have a shorter alkane chain attached to their benzene rings, so acidic conversion of cbd to thc should remain consistant

15 Likes

The same “Iodine promoted aromatization…” paper, in fact has a section where they describe the same process they use for (CBD/THC>CBN) working for the propyl analogs as well.

7 Likes

D8THCV is so far an untested compound. Very interested in properties

3 Likes

I’ve been wanting to try this but haven’t been able to find an abundance of cbdv material. I would imagine cbdv would isomerize to Δ8-Thcv the same way you would get cbd to isomerize to Δ8-Thc. Just throw 100gs of cbdv isolate into your flask and add 10% carbon and reflux it. If that works I’d have no reason to think that you couldn’t do the same with Δ9-thcv using a different catalyst and nitrogen backfill.

I would attempt with carbon first just to see what kind of conversion you can get, then I would try using a better catalyst to get a better conversion.

3 Likes

You will probably see the same issues that people are having with the iodine method:

Hard to get iodine
Hard to completely remove iodine
not an efficient reaction (it was reported on small scale)

4 Likes

Not true

It’s been shown to have potent anti nicotine effects in rats

@krinkle
I can make that into pure d8 thc v for you

I’ve been trying to get my hands on some to try delta 8 thc v!

Or I could even make cbn v?

Lol

7 Likes

Theres a reason why they call me Kingofthekush

10 Likes

I have absolutely no lab to commence an experiment in. I would be happy to provide CBDV for some experimentation if I can snag a new batch. What could you do with 100 grams?

1 Like

Do you have the ability to process a 100 gram test of CBDV —> THCV?

1 Like

I do…

5 Likes

Yes, I just purchased a 1l short path strictly for converting cbd to Δ8-Thc and Δ9-thc. I have a catalyst in mind for a high conversion as well. This week I was gonna test it out. Currently able to get 70% Δ8-thc from cbd isolate. Should atleast be able to get that in thcv off of cbdv.

1 Like

Let me know we can work out a contract I’d just need access to the catalyst but that’s costly for the exact one.

1 Like

I Graduated from VCU, surprisingly a lot of cannabinoid research has been done there. Look up the work of Richard Glennon

4 Likes

Reflux it in a solvent before distilling. Molecules need some space to move around

6 Likes

Solvent of choice?

2 Likes

Heptane- nice high BP- I imagine a lower BP solvent might slow the conversion though

1 Like

Heptane or hexane, dm me if you want the ex’s name for the reagent

1 Like

Whatre you looking to make?

Solvent evaporation temp plays a huge roll in reaction rate

2 Likes

Hey Guys we are a company in the Netherlands and have the CBDV isolate, who can help us to convert it into THCV?? Love to hear.

4 Likes