Controlled Crash Seminar - Evolved Extraction - Ontario - 7/22 - 23

There is a bit more to it, but pretty much. Happy to go over the tech in detail with you on a call. This is not a new phenomenon we have just allowed manufacturers to have full control over consistent and repeatable rapid THCa crystallization.

As for pricing it ranges depending on what you’re looking to accomplish and what equipment you’ve already got that we are integrating with. The big variable is your current heating and chilling capacity on-site and if you’ve already got a bho extractor to feed the crystallizer with enough crude.

We are working with clients on projects ranging from $80k to $500k based on their unique requirements. We usually break these projects out in phases as access to capital is usually a factor.

Let’s jump on a quick call and review how much we can get you set up for.

2 Likes

This forum has not historically been kind to “call for info, call for quote” type pitches.

So let’s hear about it and decide if it’s worth suffering through a sales call.

6 Likes

Yup the class is next weekend and part of my deal with them is being able to divulge the general idea after the class

1 Like

My bad, I thought this already happened - my brain read June. I’ll put the soapbox away.

1 Like

So what’s the good word? Can ya break the vow of silence on this system/tech?

5 Likes

Class went incredibly well, crystallizer slayed.

Travel to and from Toronto is a pita.

Basic summary of the tech:

After extraction off the biomass, the solution is deposited into the crystallizer where a specific saturation level is achieved, then the pressure and temperature variables are set.

Cold propane is added to the solution, simultaneously dropping the entire solution temperature (cold crash) while also changing the actual chemical solubility of the solution (propane “antisolvent”).

This is all done with the mixer spinning.

Here’s a pic of the THCa crashing out of the (nasty brown) solution within a couple minutes of the propane injection.

The solution is allowed to form a crystal matrix similar to that of a 7-11 slushie while mixing. Mixer is then stopped and solution can either be drained, or given another minute or 2 to allow the crystals to attach slightly, enabling the operator to drain the HTE and then wash with fresh solvent. Crystals can then either be drained, or dissolved back into warm solvent and process repeated to produce an even faster/cleaner crash.

Here’s the THCa after the HTE was drained and the remaining crystals washed once, then redissolved in just enough butane to evacuate the vessel

And here’s the reX in a miner

Next step for them is a paddle modification so that the reX can occur in the crystallizer, while agitating, to create larger loose crystals.

13 Likes

4 Likes

I know I’ve brought it up on ig before but interest3d to what the forum members think. Can this be considered antisolvent crystallization?

From my understanding of an lpg is not a good solvent to anti solvent with. To anti solvent crash
AB=soluble
A
C=soluble
B*C= not soluble at all

When A*B are in solution adding C makes B fall out do to it no longer being soluble

1 Like

The THCa is soluble in butane. When propane is added, THCa becomes less soluble in the now mixed propane and butane, and crashes out even when temps are kept constant.

That fits the definition of antisolvent but call it whatever you want.

The effect is definitely sped up when the propane is injected cold though

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.cgd.2c00014#:~:text=(16)%20In%20the%20case%20of,the%20change%20in%20the%20supersaturation.

1 Like

Is propane an ideal antisolvent? I’d say no. Does it work in this context? I’ve been hearing about it from various parties for at least three years now, so I presume yes.

I figured this was going to be something a bit more novel tbh. Seems like it might be useful if you’re set up for it though.

2 Likes

I haven’t had much luck in the literature trying to research gas based antisolvent, likely because hydrocarbon gasses aren’t used for extraction much.

Here’s an interesting paper though

1 Like

Have you seen other equipment designed to take advantage of this effect?

Designed specifically to make use of this process? No. I’ve seen equipment I’ve been told has been made to do this trick. Haven’t watched it myself.

Gas antisolvents are interesting. A quick scan of the literature would inform the readers that there are a couple of other interesting possibilities in this area.

I’ve personally had more fun playing with liquid antisolvents than gas ones.

We developed an antisolvent crystallization protocol that is incredibly dramatic. One second just liquid, the next all of your cannabinoids appear in a big fluffy cloud as if by magic. Not the most operationally efficient thing in the world, but it’s a cool party trick.

3 Likes

Ya the spontaneous bloom is pretty cool to watch

This is the paper most of the other literature close to what we are doing references

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/bk-1989-0406.ch022

But they are specifically talking about adding a gas to a liquid, whereas we are adding a gas to a gas (albeit in their liquid states).

Maybe I’ll implore them to dissolve some THCa into hexane and blast that with some cold propane, for science.

Basicly place stirbar in collection
Evap to saturation inject cold propane
And call it a day :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I would be really curious to see this effect at room temp

1 Like

It’s all solubility curves and metastable zone width and thermodynamics. Always has been. Always will be.

Anything we do in crystallization manipulates one (usually all) of these.

Injecting cold propane definitely affects the thermodynamics of the system.

Does it affect the solubility of THCA in butane? I don’t have the data to support a yes or no answer. Likely that’s a yes though. Does it affect it in a meaningful manner? I’d be somewhat inclined to lean to no.

With the right thermal balances one could almost certainly see this effect at any temperature you want, so long as you are near the solubility limit at that temperature.

Might even be able to get it to work with an unsaturated solution, but I don’t see why you’d waste time trying.

3 Likes

I don’t run butane systems, so excuse the uneducated question: does this not take your butane extraction/crash solvent and mix a whole bunch of propane in with it? What are you expected to do with that afterward?

Unless I’m mistaken, completely separating butane and propane isn’t the simplest thing to do.

How much propane can be in your butane before it becomes a problem? Or is this not an issue?

If it’s an issue, this seems like it might rapidly get into “now how do I deal with all this goddamn mixed bullshit solvent” territory.

2 Likes

Th Wiz (@downtheterphole) allegedly discovered this technique in mason jar.

I wouldn’t recommend

4 Likes