Containers for winterization

Hello All,

I am just wondering what containers everyone is using for their winterization process, more so the freezing stages? I am having a hard time preferably finding clear. square with lid containers. They would need to be rated for -20c and ethanol resistant.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Would Stainless steal drums work?

You have a ton of options if you search 5 gallon HDPE containers on google

1 Like

I was using 5L glass storage bottles, made from either pyrex or borosilicate. It wasn’t this brand but something similar:

https://www.amazon.com/USA-Lab-5000ml-Storage-Bottles/dp/B084Z61YVX?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Curious to see what others are using.

1 Like

These are nice b.c. you can pump in and out of them some what cleanly using the provided holes.

For the price your paying for that glassware I would go stainless probably, for durability, and itll get colder quicker than plastics

Nothing that is clear. I would like to see the separation occurring if possible.

With them being narrow neck, was there an issue with clogging when pouring the winterized resin out for filtering? How did you clean them, just ethanol rinse?

Too costly for what needs to be done.

From the link I posted.

1 Like

Thinking these because I can stack them and maximize my freezer space. The only downsize is its not clear so we cant see the process occurring other than from the top of the bucket.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R8JOWK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_FY8W6ERDHHQE71D8K3QP

Double check the plastic type but maybe these would work?

These are all polycarbonate. This was exactly what I was looking for but its slightly reactive to ethanol which is not good.

1 Like

No issues with clogging whatsoever, and you can always shake them to break up the fats if you have any large globs.

For cleaning, I’d use hot water and a scrub brush to remove any fat that was stuck to the walls, then washed the inside a few times with a few splashes of EtOH to remove the water and let it air dry.

Anything made of this material should work. These stack up pretty nicely.