concerns about heavy metal contamination with black iron pipe for closed-loop system

Hey all.

Got a huge butane tank that didn’t come with fittings, so I went and bought some black iron fittings. Business partner was concerned about heavy metals leeching into our extracts and was thinking brass would be better for some reason. I’ve looked around but can’t find any information.

Any insight?

Stainless is going to be best. Some types of brass are ok for some things. But if you just go SS for everything then you can reuse parts for Future upgrades/changes. Black Iron has crap in it, and it will rust.

Thanks, will be ordering stainless parts and planning on using the brass for the time being. Out of curiosity, do you know what kinds of crap the black iron has and how it would show up on test results?

Get stainless. My local Home Despot carries quite a bit. Yours may too…

Or try here.
http://www.dudadiesel.com/fittings.php

Edit: Doh! Not Home Despot. Local equivalent. Eugene only…

3 Likes

Has a coating for corrosion resistance. I don’t know about testing.

2 Likes

I need a west coast Home Depot. We still lie to vendors in NY, make up stories and shit. Dry ice for another school project huh? Must be getting great grades.
Check out chemicals compatibility charts with yer google princess. :slightly_smiling_face:
Edit. Thank you for having that name.

1 Like

Black iron is thoroughly compatible with most solvents as long as they are dry.
You generally won’t find heavy metals in black iron but free machining brass is loaded with lead.

1 Like

Fog parties. Big ones.

1 Like

I’m way out in the boonies… got a Lowe’s about 35 minutes away which we depend on heavily but unfortunately they don’t have the stainless steel. Amazon to the rescue once again! I was just reading about lead content in brass, from what I’ve read, it can contain up to 8% lead but most contains 5% or under. Apparently it’s on the surface of the brass, and can be removed by a 2:1 solution of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Interesting stuff…

That is questionable.
Lead is added to improve machining properties because it precipitates out of the metal as it cools into little balls that cause the chips to break up.
Here is a pic of the lead in the brass matrix.
Brass photomicrograph.