Combining Packages for Extraction in Metrc

Michigan Vertically Integrated Company with Extraction about to go online with a Metrc/MRA Question:

Can I combine untested packages of flower/trim/biomss before I send to processing?

Is it easier to send packages individually to Processing, and then have Processing combine packages?

Can Processing combine any package, wether, passed, failed, or untested if going to extraction?

I am 99% sure I can combine untested biomass into one package under my grow license with the intention of extraction, but I just want to make sure I am dotting the Iā€™s and crossing the Tā€™s before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

1 Like

welcome!
i hesitate to say iā€™m an expert on this subject (my company has a team devoted to METRCā€™s nuances exclusively) but if the combination you speak of reflects the actual reality of the steps performed on the material represented by these packages, you should be fine. And i think youā€™re talking about two viable ways to skin a cat hereā€“that being said, you might be adding an unnecessary step by combining before processing, where they could be combined after processing into one new package, then continuing to extraction as one, easy to use package.
or, you could combine them all now, send them into processing as one package, where itā€™s one easy to handle package for your people to use down the rest of the line. the advantage there would be ease of use for whoeverā€™s doing the Metrc work down the line.
i think both will work, but again so long as it reflects the reality of which step the material was combined in, etc. youā€™ll be good i think. best of luck!

1 Like

Thanks. The Grow has more Metrc experience, and just for ease, I would combine all the Non-Tested packages, floor trim and biomass, here under the Grow license.
I am wondering what Processing can actually combine for an extraction run? Untested, Passed and Failed together? Not sure. I will keep digging.

typically untested packages can not be invoiced to another license whether unaffiliated or not.

1 Like

In Michigan, you can ask the governing body, (MRA), to allow you to transfer, untested, specific packages of biomass with written permission if the intent is extraction. Michigan calls it Fresh Frozen Transfer, since we do not test fresh flower. We use the same form for any and all untested product intended for extraction, (floor trim, biomass, etc.). You can also send them, via a transporter, to an unafilliated liucense. Works really well, and you can get rid of your floor trim!

1 Like

Only the best dispensary products in Michigan! I hear itā€™s good for prerolls too. I joke, I joke.

1 Like

Feel free to PM me. I have been dealing with METRC in Michigan since 2019 and am pretty well versed in the regulations, what is allowed, what isnā€™t allowed, etcā€¦

1 Like

Floor nugs are the latest rage.

3 Likes

Hey!
fellow michigan grower here

there are lots of METRC bulletins and i am sure this is outlined in one, i cant remember which one, will have to check my files.
growers can not combine any packages made from different strains or harvest batches. tested or untested, the designation is per strain and per harvest batch. this was not always the case.

not sure about the pass/failed topic for processors, i imagine they will have to keep batches from remediation separate from batches that are not slated for remediation because failed products are locked in the ā€œon Holdā€ tab.
processors can combine lots more packages together and have more freedom with end product batches.

Just a METRC word of warning for all, you can do ā€œillegalā€ moves and METRC will not stop you, there are no red flags and no ā€œas you sure you want to make this moveā€. The governance is within the regulatory agency in the state in question. they will come down on you for making METRC moves that are not approved by the agency.

8 Likes

Smartalecs!

1 Like

I plan on PMā€™ing you Zoraku. Thanks.

Iā€™ve always been able to compile everything regardless of testing status, usually in the MIPP just because sometimes I have packages coming from multiple grows or even left over crude that already exists in the MIPP, that I would like to combine. I havenā€™t had any issues since the final product is always tested before transferring into the dispensary for sale.

im in Montana though and our inspectors arenā€™t the most on top of thingsšŸ™ƒ so definitely double check!

1 Like

When I processed in OH, this was the case. When processing in MI, we can accept untested flower, but any product that leave the processor is tested

1 Like

METRC allowed untested product to hit stores and dispos and when it was realized it was a product recall!

Do you know if we combine the packages prior to extraction or after? Wanting to make sure we get this part right

You can do either but after you wouldnā€™t be combining the source packages. PM me, happy to help in more detail.