Colorado Use By Date

How does everyone feel about the new 9-month use-by date for vapes and flower products that went effective in Colorado?

Are people doing their own shelf stability to get longer shelf life than this?

I’ve been doing shelf stability for a while - anyone know if they are having tight controls like shelf stability in Michigan?

–Cass

4 Likes

I tested at Gobi to get an accelerated extended shelf life… not cheap but the only way to excel what is interpreted in the new rulings.

2 Likes

I didn’t think that the flower use by had started yet.

edit: https://www.westword.com/marijuana/colorado-regulators-withdraw-marijuana-product-expiration-proposal-15222497

What is the criteria for “expired”? Like 20% loss in potency or what? Retest for microbes?

What accelerated conditions are acceptable?

It says that it will be in effect on 1/1/2024 - the rest of the rules from that new legislation went into effect yesterday.

Thanks for poking this - I had a notice from Denver about it and I was like, wait what? How am I not prepared for that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Cause we still got over a year! :smiley:

1 Like

And even then I think product can still be sold after that “sell by” date

Yes - but you have to tell your customers that, with an additional label. And it cannot be transferred only sold. Which means only dispensaries can sell it that way, not cultivators, producers, etc.

But yeah - still time to work out those kinks. And also to get some shelf stability studies completed so labels can have longer than 9 months listed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is what I want to know. Also, what about optimal vs suboptimal storage conditions? Sealed vs unsealed packaging? Id imagine microbes and terps would be the major factors over time, but both of which are subject to manufacturing and storage conditions.

I do not believe potency (except as a percentage of weight with varying moisture content) would change (Could be wrong though). Except maybe the degradation of THC into CBN but this is not a fast process, and is also greatly dependent on storage conditions…

We had some old oil sitting in our safe and tested for potency and microbials and its thc content was almost the same and passed microbials. Our expiration date is now 17 months and will retest the oil again on the two year mark. MED has never asked yet for info but we have the COA’s on hand just in case.

1 Like