Color remediation chromatography

Some of you guys got them good brains, a little gooderer than mine.

Love to see thought experiments at play.

sooo… lets say you pull four “fractions” from 10lb of solvent, and have a bed volume that accommodates 2.5lb of solvent.

lets imagine that fraction 2 has “all the terps”…how about the terps in the last 2.5lb that hasn’t even entered the column?

you certainly didn’t pull those terps.

11 Likes

I would extract the total volume of biomass with whatever desired amount of solvent, and just split it into a few different collection vessels as it leaves the material column.

This isn’t for me to bring product to market this way, was more so thinking of pulling some ultra fire head stash for myself.

This is something @TwistedStill and I have talked about doing

3 Likes

what about 2 systems that share a material column.

you do a first light wash with solvent A through chroma column A into collection A and recover into tank A
then 2nd wash with solvent B through choma column B into collection B and recover into tank B

??

3 Likes

which certainly seems counter to the mission when presented with 40k lb of Hemp…

my current approach is to implement the same “scrub” style CRC that I’ve used in the past, and grab one of the chroma style for R&D. I’d still like to wrap my head around how folks are actually using these things.

the above sounds great…but it seems to me that using the primary extraction as the elution solvent is always going to result in muddy fractions. so what the (*&$@#)(_)(#$@ am I missing?!?

Seems a lot easier to execute with something like pentane that could be in glass

2 Likes

Touché. What I described is more like fraction batching.

if such “inline” chromatography allowed the facile production of THC compliant CBD, I’d be all over it. I don’t believe it will in it’s current implementation, but then again, I clearly don’t understand the current implementation, so…

4 Likes

This is why I don’t look at instagram. It’s full of rabbit holes that may or may not be lies…

(lies = misleading information)

5 Likes

Yes, I’m also confused how you could do chromatography when you’re only feeding extract solution. Usually, you add a “slug” of analyte and then push that through with fresh solvent. If you’re always adding more analyte you’ll always be adding more of the stuff you’re trying to get to the bottom of the column into the top.

7 Likes

this is how you would do it.
otherwise we are not thinking outside the box, or whatever we’re chasing isn’t “chromatography”

5 Likes

Unless you use a very sticky mobile phase and a shitload of solvent which sounds terrible in every regard.

3 Likes

Dunno if you saw this or not, but @Graywolf documented a session of @murphymurri and her technique.

13 Likes

So it’s just good old fashion patience. Recovering each fraction separately.

2 Likes

In addition to the media(s), we’ve got solvent/blend and temp we can play with…and both of those are clearly being manipulated.

Perhaps there is a “none shall pass” media/solvent/temp combo that could be used to achieve what I think I’m looking for.

Definitely not going to turn one of these down, just not gonna advise folks to base their production technique on something that I haven’t first wrapped my head all the way around. That usually requires at least some smaller scale R&D.

I don’t consider an EX-80 small in the thc world, but I guess it probably qualifies in the hemp world.

3 Likes

I did, and rereading I noticed that the nominal 5lb PX1 was loaded with a “partial sock” :thinking:

I still don’t see how one can get “the terpenes first” when there should still be terpenes in the reservoir above the media until there is nothing but vapor there.

Then we elute those with fresh solvent?!?

5 Likes

This is what my brain tells me too.

2 Likes

and I’ve got no problem with that part, except we then need a high enough bed volume/great enough depth, and a shit ton more solvent that doesn’t go through the material column to elute all the other fractions.

which seems achievable. just not sure it makes sense at my scale.

without playing with it, I’m not even sure what “my scale” even looks like. So I’m sure as hell not going to say “yeah, buy 4 of those!” (cause they look too small to me).

3 Likes

Yeah so @Roguelab shared some info with me about 3A zeolites and acidic cannabinoids which might make for an interesting in-line THC remediation process but it would require a second solvent which would have to be aromatic and I’m guessing that would turn most people off. Probably more solvent friendly and certainly more media cost friendly than RPLC but a bit more involved to build the skid/validate the process.

2 Likes

Hey guys. Long time scroller first time poster. Just made this account. So I dont wanna write a huge post if it doesn’t necessarily belong here. So in simple terms im running a closed loop active emotek system. Running 70/30. Just added a little crc inline and using these “disposable” cups that fit in the cylinder column. Im r and d ing it myself and was wondering if anyone had any tips on packing the media powders, what order they should go in, pressing the media?!, should it be warm?, 3 weeks into crc tech and im looking for a little guidance. All tips appreciated thanks for reading.