Cold traps in SPD

you’d have to NPT two of those on.
or TIG them.

more about the fact that one might have one lying around gathering dust…

Ya thats what i was thinking, ill stick with my cema ones they work great and have opposite (top and bottom) port so the vapor has to travel past my -90 immersion chiller. Mine just sits in a 3 gallon bucket full of drh ice. I can run about 3.5 liters with 20# dry ice.

1 Like

We refer customers to XTRAX for this Cold Trap and I just received a promotional email saying they dropped their price.

1 Like

Anyone have experience with Across International’s T40 Gen 3? We have one and I am bummed on its performance. I’ve used their discontinued T80 with the crap glass design duel cold traps and it was great. The T40 Gen 3 with the KF25 ports in and out is good for full-bore SPD setups but the function of the cold trap is ass. :rage:

Do you have the appropriate amount of fluid below the trap? I think the recommended etOH?

1 Like

The AI T40 Gen 3 is a fluidless unit. That was what sold me on it. The reservoir is stainless with a plated cylinder insert. Its performance is horrid. Even scaling my vac and keeping my liebig at -10 during volatiles I’m still pulling shit through the trap to my pump. I suspect if the unit was a -80C instead of -40C it would function appropriately.

1 Like

Yes, you’re absolutely right, I’ve had the same experience multiple times at multiple client sites.

-40 C is simply not cold enough to catch light terpenes and other (relatively) volatile compounds that occur in hemp or similar extracts. Those are frankly inadequate for this industry and should not be used.

Here’s one example of a calculator to get boiling points at low pressures far below 0C:

Keep in mind, that cold trap temperature must be at least 20 C or more lower than the boiling point of the lowest boiling component to completely condense it. I recommend dry ice in ethanol at -65 C or lower, or an equivalent chiller.