Cold solvent won’t dissolve diamonds

I made some black diamonds and was trying to re run the batch. I decided to put my solvent tank in the freezer and I poured some into a jar the next day. I put my black diamonds in the jar and filled it half way with 70/30 put the lid on and put back in the freezer. I waited a few days before admitting that nothing was happening. Shook it every day up to
That point and nothing ever happened.

Can anyone explain why the solvent was not acting as such under cold conditions yet we chill our solvents for runs and it works great?

After my failed experiment I put the diamonds in my material column and soak over night in room temp solvent and it dissolved perfectly

1 Like

Initial extraction and dissolution are different things.

Also “black diamonds”? Any chance you took a picture?

1 Like

google why temperature affects solubility and it will detail it out for you, but in really basic terms the warmer the solvent the more it can hold on to stuff. which is why we freeze to winterize, we chill solvent during extraction so we don’t pull to many undesirables along with our goodies.

3 Likes

Thank you for that explanation. Makes perfect sense

1 Like

Well yeah I guess those are black diamonds, did the cold solvent not dissolve anything or just not the heavy sludge? You could always wash the funk off the crystals with some fresh cold solvent. Looks like you’re starting material was less than ideal though.

Machine trim… smelled dank tho.

Didn’t dissolve a lick bro

The black stayed on the diamonds. Needed a warm wash evidently. I’ve leaned ethanol is probably best for that particular task

BINGO! Machine trim it is! There is your issue. You’re gonna need to do a good hard dewax on that stuff and its probably not a bad idea to start reading up on color remediation. Machine trim can make fine hash but the work saved in the trimming is passed on to the processor.

3 Likes

Machine trim sucks…

4 Likes

You have to redissolve or just melt in a warm adapted solvent, at then cool it down. The correct solvent must be able to dissolve to pigments at low temp, but not the thc.

1 Like

IMO i beg to differ dry machine trim is the only stuff i have ever seen 20%+ yields on why ? Because my neighbor drys his weed too fast then dry machine trims it too dry so all his trichomes go into the trim . It has always made super terpy light colored oil too for me . The stuff i get from my neighbor has zero fans leaves tons of keif and literal chunks of hash though . He doesn’t care cause he smokes his oil not his flower . Wet machine trim is trash or dry stuff with tons of fan leaves . I prefer good machine trim whenever i can get it . This was even before CRC. I would pay top dollar for good stuff like that

3 Likes