Cold ethanol pumps

Thank you for the reply. So after speaking with ETS for a system our size they recommended something along the lines of 40gpm+ flow rate and 5kw+ power, so it looks like we will be going with Viking.

2 Likes

Good call! -80C rated for continuous duty.

1 Like

Thanks @TheGratefulPhil

Apologies if it’s already mentioned upthread

4 Likes

Wow well that will do it! I don’t know how i ever missed that.

2 Likes

I’ve been running this durostar dstp15-ac for over a month now. DI/ethanol slurry in a chopped hot water tank from the scrap heap. Circulates to a 200lb jacketed tank and takes about 30 minutes to get down. I have a basic mesh hose filter hooked on the pump inlet line. Thing works like a champ for 150-200$.

10 Likes

Glad somebody said this…

4 Likes

How far away is your 200 lb jacketed tank? Im in the process of trying to do somthing similar. I want to find somthing safe that will get the job done but doesn’t cost a small fortune. Are you able to get the jacketed tank down to -30 -40?

The pump is still working great processing 100lbs/wk. Gets to -40 in under an hour but can chew through 100lbs+ of ice if you run it all work shift. Throw in a 5-10lb mesh bag of 3A mol sieve balls to keep the ethanol-water goo down. My tank is on the other side of that wall, 5ft ish.

1 Like

Oops lol

We have a pump for sale.

Talk about muff.

But seriously, who spec’d that muffler, never seeen such a large one on a 1” AODD pump before.

1 Like

I think it may be way over kill for my needs. I only have a 200 lb jacketed tank im trying to chill. Prob gonna build some type of 1/2" stainless coil and pipe it into a custom box thats insulated. 18 gallons per min seems to be alot. Ill look into a little and shoot you a PM. Thanks for the offer :+1:

you wanna fix that link for us?

1 Like

Is that pump still working great?

Would that pump go well for long hour usage everyday to chill tanks and heat exchangers from a dry ice slurry? If it can handle those temps, and having no priming issues, I’m thinking it should be able to continuously run at cold temps to replace a chiller for recovery.

I wouldn’t recommend it for just about anything unless you know you will never need to prime it. It’s a pain in the ass to prime. I would maybe use it at the bottom of a reservoir but doesn’t have much pumping strength.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. The priming part wouldn’t effect me, but the actual flow rate would.

I have a brand new MVP liquid pump rated -40c ETL UL etc.
shoot me a dm I’ll do a nice rate. Collecting dust. :+1:

That setup worked great 12 hours/day for 3 months. Was still going hard until I bought a busted dslb 50/80 and fixed the broken relay. No need to prime. I did start having flow issues once from water buildup in the slurry bath. I just redistilled the ethanol and everything was fine. The bath setup was chewing through about 1000lbs of ice a week. Lots of ice but capable of getting my two 6"x48" tubes to -60C to -65C.

2 Likes

The flow rate was definitely slower than I wanted. Took about an hour to get a 100lb stainless tank chilled.

1 Like