Cold ethanol pumps

They definitely work better once the solvent is cold. Haven’t had any problems with pulling (priming) directly from rm temp barrels.

“Don’t hate them” might too feint a praise, but saying I loved them would also be inaccurate.

2 Likes

http://www.helwigpumps.com/PDF/V-10%20FLYER-a.pdf

Maybe this would deal with cold temps.

Should work with rm temp ethanol.

Dubious about their performance at -80C.

They are described as “low volume metering pumps”, which isn’t really what we are trying to achieve.

If they can pull against a vacuum, there are other places they might be appropriate

Sooo… the $400 methanol fuel (gear) pump is currently the best option I’ve tried. There are a couple of other good options that I haven’t played with yet & I still need to give this thing a decent workout, but it primes AND moves lots of solvent. We’ll see how it does against a filter…

Or at -80 whichnit is not rated for :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thats why I got an AI oven and an re-501

1 Like

Looks like they’ve got a 12gpm 115V model. I might have to go ahead and get one. GPI - M-1115S Methanol Pump 115V AC

1 Like

Worked great until we burst a bag. Intake screen clogged imediately. Not the pumps fault, but needs noting.

Both pushed and pulled, including priming, through a filter. Almost emptied it too (pumping air). Cold didn’t phase it. Not as fast as N2 (and N2 does that other stuff).

Caveats: Came lubicated. Intended for fuel not food. Leave intake screen accessible or supplement it with something both bigger & smaller.

Materials and construction appear appropriate. I removed lubricant and cleaned everything thoroughly.

Want the ability to feed it 3-20V and reverse it. Should be fairly simple.

Might make more sense to play similar games with the AC version.

2 Likes

Does anybody know about these? For homebrewing from australia. Its rated up to 120C They have a bigger model and they offer a stainless housing. Theyre cheap like next to nothing. I wonder how it would work cold?

2 Likes

This looks to be a good option, compared to the CPE Systems unit…about the same price, but has wireless remote options…and 2hp…

CIP pump that is explosion proof

https://www.alfalaval.com/products/fluid-handling/pumps/centrifugal-pumps/lkhex/

2 Likes

Buy one and test it share results- I want one.

1 Like

Looks great, except the blurb says it works because the impeller is flexible…

So I have doubts about running it much below -20C

There are very few elastomers that play well at -80C

3 Likes

If you’re in the US, note that those Aussie pumps have British Straight Pipe fittings, and want 220V. Both are doable.

They should run faster at 60hz that 50 :slight_smile:

As for how they deal with cold…?!?

1 Like

Alfa Laval makes great equipment, but good luck getting them to spend much time with you if you’re less than a $1M/year annual client. Also be prepared to pull out your wallet, I’ve never seen an instance where I personally felt Alfa equipment was on the right side of the cost/value equation.

8 Likes

yeah, I did see that. Thanks for detailing that knowledge, I’ll keep it in mind when researching.

Any more input on Magnatex pumps? i spoke with them and they seem pretty reasonably priced. 7k with an explosion proof motor. They have an option to put an air motor in it but i have not quoted yet. I noticed the other quote posted had a head pressure of 147ft. This is really high i think. Can anyone tell me what they are estimating for theirs? My estimate is 10ft high(10), 30ft pipe(3) 4 turns (4) loss(3) = 20.

This is what I was considering.

2 Likes

$400 Methanol fuel pump…

No complaints after 2hrs at. -50C

14 Likes

Looking good! Do you have a link?

Up thread!!!

Link to 110V also up thread!

And I apologize for not linking again or at least stating that it was the Western Equipment fuel pump @Soxhlet tried to talk me out of :wink:

7 Likes

Still looking for some more input. Im looking for a 100 gpm pump, rated to atleast -70 and would prefer an air driven motor as it will be easier to put into the c1d1 room.

Or am i over estimating the trouble of using an ATEX rated motor in the c1d1 room.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.