Cold Curing Rosin

Hey guys,

Wavetwister here. First post, first day on the forums. I want to thank everyone who is on here and has replied to anyone and helped them out or just posted to give tech out. You guys are the real MVPs.

Onto business, COLD CURE TECH.

I have researched a little bit on this subject, but I still feel as if I do not have all the info I need. I feel I am still lost on a few parts:

1.) What temp should I press at to get the final greasy baddery wet looking consistency that cold cure provides? I have always been about pressing low around 130* ish. I have read that pressing higher at around 220* is what you want so it drips/drains/floods into the jar.

2.) Witch Cold Cure, do you still introduce heat like making Rosin Sauce, or no heat at all?

3.) It seems like this is strain dependent but how long and what temp do we leave the sealed jar in the fridge for the separation of terpenes before we take it out and whip it? Do we return it to the fridge for more cure or is it done after the whip?

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Yesterday I found some older trim bin keef that smelled ok. So I decided to press it. Did 2 min presses, slowly increasing pressure at 130*. Took all of it and stuck it into jars. Then I took one jar and had it at 200* for 45/50 minutes until I saw the bubbles on the top layer, then I took it and put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Then took it out and put it in a wine cooler fridge at 54* for a cold cure. With the second jar, I heated it at 220* for only 30 minutes, then took it out and put it in the wine cooler fridge. Today they look the exact same as when they went into the fridge. I am looking to get a wet wet consistency with huge terpene profiles. I will update yall on final consistencies and pictures from this trial run.

3 Likes

Im not a rosin guy but I would assume lower temps should create a more wet greasy product

Also old material isn’t gonna be as good for your goals. You want fresh stuff

7 Likes

Lower temps = more terps, but a runnier extract

Higher temps = less Terps, more shatter like extract.

4 Likes

i’m pretty sure concentration of terpenes combined with wax membranes are what cause viscosity of oil, so maybe at a lower temperature you’re not melting the (fats and lipids) waxes enough to enter the extract, leaving behind just a higher terpene blend, which makes for a more viscous product. Maybe once you go over 130 you start burning out some of the terpenes and that’s what gives you a more stable end product.
We should have a sticky’d post with all the diagrams and graphs of cannabinoids, terpenes, and all the literal chemical makeup of EVERY component of the plant we’re extracting… that would be an awesome reference post.

8 Likes

How dark was the rosin coming off the press your material always shows true colors with rosin, are you flowing away from the press to not have your oil under that heat for 2min & are you sealing the jars before you heat to build some pressure? I’d like to see some pictures.

4 Likes

I may be lost in the difference in lingo here. But do you mean cure in the same way that others mean jar tec?

I was under the impression that a jar tec was a method of making diamonds and solventless vape cart inputs.

1 Like

Kind of like jar tek, but you’re focusing on whatever solvent you use.
If your solution is water-based, maybe freezing the water at just the right temp would do some interesting results. like separating.
just like jar tek with butane, you focus on getting it to its escape temp… which causes pressure build up.

1 Like

Pretty much. Heat to cause pressure and melt to your desired point then cool. Lots of variables to play with.

I don’t use heat in my cold cure tech.

The definition of heat varies greatly. We have put jars in the fridge and let them very slowly transform but found adding a little heat energy makes the process faster with the same results. If you want the jam/sugar/clear consistency significant heat energy needs applied in my experience.

710 Labs calls 40*C cold… again lots of variables to play with.

2 Likes

Sorry I have been MIA for awhile now. I have been pressing more and more and washing more too. So what I have come to find out based on others inputs and more research is that cold cure is a thing, but so is room temp cures. My lab is extremely cold and I am working on getting a room to 72* so that I can cure. I was thinking a humidor but we dont want humidity at all. And this involves no heat at all. Heat is for when you want to crash your product and make jelly/sauce. I am looking for that wet badder look and feel. Check out the pics below. Let me know if you guys have any questions.

15 Likes

What size bags do you use to press your hash and what temp? Did you find out how to make it a wet budder type? And after you get all your rosin collected off the parchment what should your next step be ? Jar it and put it in fridge?

I am using stainless steel 25u screens and i fold it around the hash puck and make it snug. I am pressing in between 160* and 175* this depends on strain i am working with. Once its all collected I form it into a ball with out over working it and then just drop it into the jar. Itll take shape all on its own. Then you can cold cure in a fridge and wait a week or so or room temp cure and wait a day or two for the marbling to finish and all be one opaque color. Then go in and whip it until its creamy and wet.

12 Likes

I know it seems specific and probably hard to explain, but how do you pack the bag with the stainless steel mesh screen? I have some 25u that comes in a roll that I’ve tried using but failed miserably

Also how much pressure?

Thanks bro l!!! Your work is awesome cant wait to see more ill be watching i did my first purple punch bubble hash squish yesterday and made a few mistakes but i will be better prepared next time :+1:t3:https://future4200.com/uploads/default/original/3X/5/c/5cafdf9f2ccc8ea4413d2a60eb8d8ebdf583b3af.MOV

I messed up on collecting and lost weight from no experience :man_facepalming:t3: And my jar was too big so it couldnt crash like i wanted it too but stil fire and taste amazing.

1 Like
4 Likes

Is all this rosin coming from dry hash and or bubble?

What differences have you noticed between fridge and room-temp cures?

1 Like

Why is it that bubble hash is favored to dry ice sifting? I would think dry ice being colder as it is would yield much more hash would it not?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. I recently had some hemp flower that was cold cured, as well as the same clone batch cured under regular conditions. The flavor on the cold cured was significantly better, speculating that it’s related to retention of volatile terpenes. The effects were also noticeably different. DM me if you’d like to discuss further.

1 Like