Cocrystals and Salts: Cannabinoates in Never Never Land

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/mp060126o

Read above first…then attempt to read and understand
The patent below.

With the growing awareness of Cannabinoate salts and their preparations:

the paper referenced below is essential for those interested in molecular theory and an understanding of Alkane solvation and amine salt precipitation.

this reading is necessary to understand any crystallization
That may be going on due to “amine contaminated Butane”
And medusa problem…???

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/mp060126o

6 Likes

I dunno… is THC stored in the solid(crystalline) phase or is there a quasi-liquid interior to a trich?

2 Likes

The question has multiple levels of discussion
First the ionization state…pKa of THCA (you question about THC but I think you mean THCA)
Is about 3.
Squishing trichomes in H20 yields a pH of about 4.5 to 5.0. Do the math.
So now you can begin (perhaps) to ask your question???
(This is aqueous thinking, and similar carboxylic acids exhibit pKa of 11 or so in aprotic solvent)

I think we need an immediate search for the H ion pumps in the transcriptosome-libraries prepared from Trichome heads.
Or we have to start thinking about a alkane soluble liquid ion?

Microscopically there is no indication of crystalline material in the trichome.
If the question is actually: do ionic liquids or liquid complexes (including dimers) exist
In the trichome? I would say almost certainly….that is what “Butane works” is all about.
The papers noted here addresses the subtle differences between “salts and complexes”.

What ever state it is in…it is readily soluble in butane at low temp.
But a soon as they are extracted and diluted…they precipitate out as THCA…

“Medusa-Problem”…think. Nature’s clue.

7 Likes

See edited OP above

However, there is still a limitation related to the pharmacoki- netics and pharmacodynamics of salicylic acid due to the poor solubility (0.171 mg mL1). As a poorly soluble pharmaceutical and a weak acid (pKa = 2.97), salt formation usually is the rst consideration and the primary approach in the pharmaceutical industry to address the challenge of low solubility or slow dissolution rate of ionizable drug substances through hydrogen bond.

Butane works but no theory…except “hydrogen bonds “ are involved. H-bond complex…natures way in trichome soup.

2 Likes