Coagulating fats vs Cold crashed thca

Hi there! This is my first post after a lot of reading. I fucking love this forum. Been growing and tinkering for 15 years and I’ve never seen a community as good as this one- thcfarmer in the early days came close. Thank you all so so much for your time and knowledge. :green_heart::green_heart::green_heart:

That being said, I have a question I’m having trouble answering despite lots of reading. When looking at the diamond tech we cold crash in solvent to collect the thca at the bottom, ideally after we do a 1-24 hr cold hold before filtration to coagulate and filler out fats.

It seems like there must be thca in the fat cake, perhaps a lot of it. How do you winterize (in but/prop/isobut inline with a holding step at low temp) without losing thca?

3 Likes

Rinse with really cold solvent until it goes white. You may have to play around and see if it needs another dewax after if the solvent is butane/propane

2 Likes

I’ve thought the same thing. I personally don’t think it’s worth the hassle since the fat concentration is so high. Someone would have to weight the fat cluster before and after dewaxing it. Also note the initial extractions yield percentage, I doubt the loss on that cluster would be more then 2% after accounting for waste but that’s 100% anecdotal.

Would be interesting to know if it’s worth saving! Stockpile enough for a large run :running_man:

1 Like

Saturation…

1 Like

We don’t not do any dewaxing and crash huge crystals. An extraction done cold and fast enough will avoid these waxes almost entirely.

If one is extracting dried material, it’s a bit harder but still can be done. Fresh frozen material is ideal and always crashes pure

4 Likes

Are you talking about the collected fats here? Do a second rinse on the material on the filter to make sure the thca is washed out of it?

Are you saying the thca should not crash out when you’re in the full volume of solvent, and it’s not until you’ve reduced the solvent amount considerably (1lb of solvent is mentioned in otss) that you get thca crash out?

2 Likes

First, @Dabatronicus is correct. You maybe overlooking a factor that is responsible for not being at cold enough temps to avoid picking up fats to begin with.

To answer your question about cleaning the fats, yes there is still thc in it if the fats have a lot of color in it and if you run very cold virgin solvent over it until it turns white, you’ll rinse the thc out of it. You may have to do a second dewax at that point to make sure you didn’t pull fats through while rinsing the fats but a lot simpler of a solution would be to just run colder and avoid picking them up altogether

3 Likes