Co2 Terepene Cleanup SOP

The only person trying to lie and bamboozle here is you, “Conner”

@d8mademegay Elliot has, for a long time, been a salesperson and not a scientist. All roads will always lead back to paying a premium at Summit for subpar information and gear.

The gauge I sell, the pump I recommend, and the mantle I use all provide the same function or better than the ones offered at Summit.

4 Likes

Youd definitely need another cold trap or ln2 with that kind of vacuum level.

1 Like

I have ln2

@d8mademegay Ln2 should be fine in the steel traps. You’ll be able to isolate the super cold trap with valves to prevent any water from freezing into the trap.

I’m sure these setups will hold as low as kf systems are normally rated. @Roguelab

1 Like

55f and 875 psi sub critical pull. slowly bring it up to super, catch your fractions then go full bore super to get the rest.

How many minutes per lb?

I think he has that baby apeks.

He told me he does 11-1200 15 min per lb 70f

After 25-30 mins waxes start to pull through so that’s about the time to ramp up to super.

So if I understand this terp vacuum distillation stuff… I need quite a bit of vacuum to distill sesquiterpenes at low temps say under 130F. But more temp means less vac is needed.

Clausius-Clapeyron equation for P/T boiling point change prediction

ln(P2/P1)=-(DeltaHvap/R)((1/T2)-(1/T1))

R=8.314 J/mol·K (ideal gas law gas constant)
Delta Hvap= latent heat of vaporization in kj/mol
T1= boiling temp 1 in kelvin
T2= boiling temp 2 in kelvin
P1= boiling pressure 1 in atmospheres
P2= boiling pressure 2 in atmospheres

T1= compound boiling temp in kelvin at 1.0 atm
Solve for T2
P1= 1.0 atm
P2= 0.01 atm (approx -14.5 psig)

(1/T2)-(1/T1) = -(R/DeltaHvap)ln(P2/P1)
1/T2 = -(R/DeltaHvap)ln(P2/P1)+(1/T1)
T2 = -(R/DeltaHvap)ln(P2/P1)+(1/T1)^-1
or
T2 = 1/(-(R/DeltaHvap)ln(P2/P1)+(1/T1))

It seems like a dewar style cold trap or two at dry ice temps will condense terps. Is it always desirable to distill at lowest temp with maximum vacuum or does that pose issues?

3 Likes

I like using sigma’s interactive tool. Though you cannot change the hVap for the molecule and I believe it is using water as the baseline.

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/US/en/support/calculators-and-apps/pressure-temperature-nomograph-interactive-tool

2 Likes

I’m not very good at math, but I had the equation and excel. Therefore I built a calculator so I don’t have to remember this stuff. I found a site that publishes a lot of calculated compound properties. Once you plug in the equation, I rearranged to solve for T2, you just look up ΔvapH° and Tboil and plug them in excell. You get the boil temp at whatever vac you specify. Pretty cool, assuming I did math stuff correctly.

4 Likes

You can put in freezing temperature and pour the organic layer away from the ice – water now separated

For color you can use norit (activated carbon) to make lighter. You may also have some lipids present as well given it’s a co2 extract, so you can use a centrifuge to separate the lips and run the norit at the same time. You could just divide up your organic layer into some number of centrifuge tubes, add some amount of norit to each one, put tubes in centrifuge, spin, then pour of the supernatant, filter to remove the norit, and discard the lipid layer at the bottom of the centrifuge tubes.

2 Likes

Why not pull your terps before going into the co2 extractor?

18 pounds one hour

4 Likes

I see you are pulling the terps with these parameters :wink: