CO2 "Sauce"

1 Like

I have a few fractions naturally separating. Bottom portion of the jar is a large concentration of THCa through a C02 run.

3 Likes

We are working on it as well, unfortunately have to run our chiller warmer and separators higher in pressure to maintain liquid in the holding vessel. Trying to figure out a inline water filtration so we can crank temperatures down and acquire lower pressure separations at this point. Otherwise the closer to 32F the more likely the circuit will freeze.

When we do our terpene extractions (we use an Eden Labs machine so we don’t have quite as many separators as a Waters), if the material is fresh we typically see THCA begin crystallizing out of the solution if we let it sit. Usually aren’t getting larger granules though, just the little spears that like to float in the terps (high SA:V ratios). If we are just making some terpy crude though it does settle and separate like the images @DesertTerps posted. I typically find though that the white material that settles at the bottom is a mixture of THCA and waxes that crash out as well.

I’ve also seen powdered THCA crystals form in the lines between our material vessel and first separator, however this is pretty infrequent and I haven’t put the time and effort into trying to replicate it that @ExTek90 has.

1 Like

Our partner ran fresh frozen material on a Vitalis Q - Series which resulted in a 3 hour evacuation of the building. They now strictly run material at 13% and under to avoid frozen lines. I’m also interested as to how you achieved this end product!

2 Likes

I’ve had a similar issue with some of my sub-critical fractions. Using a old gen MRX 20L. Our initial tests showed up at about 5% D9 and 5% THCA so was not certain it was THCA crashing out. Old organic chemist friend suggested it could be lipids crashing out because we went from separation to freezer and did not ramp down the temperature. I’ll see if I can send you a picture.

THCa crystallization inside the lines.

2 Likes

Terpene pulls from some live CO2 extractions @ 100x.

4 Likes

Live CO2?

Are you freeze drying the bud?

Yes. And it works great.