Co2 Powered Recovery

We have just converted our Frankenstein MkIV Bi-Flow to a passive system. The recovery side consists of 3/8 hose and fittings,a 3x18" molecular sieve, a large 3/8 condenser coil, and a jacket SS recovery/storage tank from OSS with 3/8" FNPT fittings on the tank. We had planned to use DI/ISO slurry for the coil and blast Co2 through the jacket on the tank. The cooling effect of the Co2 on the tank didn’t seem to be very sufficient and it sure required a lot more Co2 than we initially anticipated. Any tips for getting better performance from the Co2 powered recovery in this configuration?

3 Likes

You need to draw liquid from the tank and spray it through a fine orface into the jacket, leave the other side of the jacket open so no boom boom.

5 Likes

Thank you! For the time being we are limited to a CO2 tank that was being used for our veg room. I do not believe these style tanks have a dip tube. Would it be dumb to invert the CO2 cylinder to get liquid out?

probably not as dumb as turning propane tanks on their heads to avoid the diptube… but still not something I’d suggest you make a habit of.

1 Like

Idk if your regulator would be cool with liquid going through it! So in my experience no, yoi will need a special hookup for that.

xactco2_tanks
This is what the tanks look like.

2 Likes

Thank you! This may proved to be an issue, obtaining the proper setup that is.

1 Like

With any luck we will have q liquid CO2 tank on site later today, with that said I am wanting to make sure I understand how to get the liquid to spray inside the jacket. By simply terminating the tube with a SMALL orifice inside the jacket it should spray correct?

Regulator?

Aren’t those are for sissies?

Or people who only have a limited amount of gas and need to use it to evenly cool the whole run and not just super cool the tank for the first 5 minutes. I was shocked how quickly we ran out of gas, though in hindsight I suppose that is because the way we were setup it was cooling the CO2 tank and not the storage tank.

1 Like

Yes, you may want some adjustability to the orface size to fine tune.

1 Like

Usually most smaller CO2 tanks dont have dip tubes. When you try liquid vs gas you’ll notice a difference for sure!

yeah, look for the dark ring at the top of the tank for sure!

1 Like