CO2 Post Processing vs. BHO Post Processing

Hi all,

First year processing tech moving from BHO post processing to CO2 post processing. Can anyone give me any insight into how the two differ? I know products coming from a CO2 extraction system can be much cleaner but does the crude still require some sort of post processing in order to make distillate? I’ve heard of people pouring CO2 distillate straight from the extractor. Any advice/notes would be appreciated!

1 Like

Opposite. CO2 crude was harder to process and slower. Things might have changed so I’m just sharing our experience.

1 Like

In my experience I’ve noticed that co2 tends to pull more lipids and fats, but I was working at a fairly new company in Florida, one of the techs tried to tell me co2 doesn’t become a liquid under pressure :man_shrugging:, so they may not have been using it efficiently.

I believe bho crude can have very minimal post processing if you are making distillate, especially if you are running cold, dewaxing, and using crc

2 Likes

If it hasn’t been distilled, you are not pouring distillate. (See Search results for 'short path' - Future4200)

If it came straight from the extractor, no mater how pretty or marketable you find it, it is still “crude”.

As a general rule, the public consumes more crude BHO than crude CO2. Which in part reflects how refined that crude is coming directly out of the extractor

The actual post processing is pretty much the same. See winterizing, degumming, and perhaps brine washing if you’re having problems with sugars in your WFE.

4 Likes

I learned on a BHO extraction system so post processing BHO crude is my jam. I’m just not super familiar with CO2 extractions and how the crude behaves so I wanted to adjust my post processing methods accordingly.

There’s a fair bit of info scattered around the site, the search bar works well if you use good terms.

If you wanna skip the research and development, feel free to reach out for a consult.

1 Like

That’s what I thought. I knew it was just myths…nice to know my short path and wiped film skills are still necessary!

1 Like