CO2 Oil Cloudy then Dark

Hey guys, maybe someone can give us an idea of what is going on here because it’s really weird. We have two batches of CO2 oil (source material from same supplier, different strains) that turned cloudy and gel-like after decarb/purge (max temp 140C). At this point the oil was re-diluted in EtOH to filter out the possible gel and sediment where they darkened significantly during the mixing. The dark red hue leads me to believe excessive oxidation occurred rapidly but I’m not sure why. It must be the source material because nothing in the process changed; possibly a nutrient that wasn’t flushed properly. Not sure if the oil can be remediated but I would love to hear from you guys if someone has seen this before or knows what it could be. Thanks!

Winterized CO2 oil is red. Carbon scrub lightens it significantly.

If you’d like some examples feel free to check my IG.

1 Like

No doubt, should have explained the whole process. The oil was winterized then carbon scrubbed where the color lightened and looked fine (even did two because it was a little darker than normal). One on the left is when it turned cloudy, right is after mixing with EtoH.

:man_shrugging:

My best guess would be that the terpenes reacted with your carbon somehow.