Co2 extraction w ethanol

See: SFC

sorry, i misunderstood, i was trying to ask what brand in the market allows CO2/Ethanol extraction

Ok. But you asked how to post processes with CO2…

Even Apeks has CO2 expanded ethanol these days.

Some would say they are rather late to the game.

We respond to our client needs and feedback to prioritize product development in response to the market demand. You could say we are “late to the game”, however we have been manufacturing co2 systems for over 15 years as Apeks and Andy has been making them for about 20. We constantly strive to refine our products based on client feedback. There are other large players that still have non-cosolvent injection that are working on getting theirs to market as well. One rather larger co2 manufacturer from Canada is one of those in the same boat…As a small family owned business up until late 2019 we simply did not have the same resources to perform R&D that we currently do now. We have joined with Delta Separations and are now the same company. There are lots of new developments and refinements in the works…stay tuned.

With luck that will cut down on the number of CO2 extractors who claim ethanol is the devil yet still winterize (with ethanol) post extraction…
Pure CBG – Cannabigerol Extract Powder Isolate extraction education

2 Likes

Agreed, I think we were already there but I agree, we are in a much better position to offer unbiased solutions based on client needs.

Even Thar uses ethanol to winterize & remediate (as of sept '19). But solely uses co2 on the extraction to claim an ‘organic’ extraction process.

so not chemists :thinking:

We always quote full turnkey packages that include winterization. We are selling the whole process not just our extractors. It is always a process and end product goal driven conversation with our team. We can’t really sell winterization equipment without a discussion about winterization…

@ApeksNate ? Was that meant for someone else?

you have read the first post in this thread right?

not pointing any fingers, but it wasn’t the ethanol guys who created this confusion…

Sorry, hoping in the conversation midway, just speaking on the topic of co2 companies not discussing how ethanol is used in the process and try to claim and “organic extraction” which I think although true is rather misleading when you have to go right in to winterization. I was not trying to interrupt just got tagged in the convo and hopped in.

:+1:got it.

I prefer co2 for its selectivity and fractionation capability. Gives me flexibility downstream.

2 Likes

Nope. I went right in to responding your to your quote from my thread which I think highlights our perspective on “Why to add ethanol as a cosolvent to pure co2 extraction?” pretty well. Sorry for jumping in without the due diligence first. :ok_hand:

1 Like

For a given temperature and pressure, certain compounds are soluble with non-polar co2 (call this a narrow band spectrum). Adding a cosolvent, such as polar ethanol, swings the polarity of your mobile phase from non-polar to polar (and everything in between). As this happens, additional compounds become soluble at that polarity/pressure/temp setting and elute.

Instead of a narrow band extraction, you end up with a wide band spectrum of compounds eluting.

I’ve seen some academics/phd biochemists state that ethanol cannot change the polarity of supercritical co2, however polarity of pure co2 is increased as a result of increased temperature and pressure. I’m not a chemist so please feel free to correct me or point out the research that supports your statement. I’m a sponge and want to learn as much as possible to be accurate in any statements I make here or to a potential client. Thanks.

1 Like

Molar math

Yea, I understand the Chem 101 Dirt eagle. I meant do you or have you done any research to support your statement or is it just based on theory and fundamental principles of chemistry. No offense, I am just looking for research based evidence that supports your statement. Not a review of Chem 101.

Stuff like this:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/283869229_Supercritical_CO2_extraction_of_ethanol
or this:

or this:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/244361601_Effect_of_ethanol_content_on_supercritical_carbon_dioxide_extraction_of_caffeine_from_tea_stalk_and_fiber_wastes
or this:

Empirical Data driven Research…I like to go deep :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. In house and third party on the interwebs, such as:

1 Like

Nice, thank you! Always trying to learn as much as possible. I appreciate it.