CO2 Crystallization Tech

A chemical engineer I worked with was suggesting it was possibly carbonate build up. Some evidence is leaning towards carbonic acids as well do to water content and the violent phase exchanges going on. It was suggested these contaminants could be reduced by removing water.

I experience that same kind of material most often in my filter between my separators and liquid accumulator, especially if attempting sub 38F chilling temperatures.

1 Like

Would have been worth collecting some and trying to dissolve it.

I used water, heptane, and ethanol to attempt to dissolve the crystals I showed. The ethanol and heptane worked, and left behind a light yellow “shatter” when purged. The water did not dissolve them, even when left for a week and agitated.

1 Like

almost certainly not carbonate and almost certainly wax! also common to have that buildup of white particulate in heat exchangers and filters, as that real fine stuff seems to have a real affinity for co2.

All of these pictures are from the separator and lipids could be a culprit in this section of the machine. The white material in the photos had a consistency similar to powdered sugar.

It seems unlikely that it is lipids collecting on my cold filter prior to re-condensing of the CO2 but I will not say it is impossible. The pressure and temperatures are in the 400-500 PSI and 32-40F range. No stickiness and not malleable. The contaminants from these filters typically did not dissolve in non-polar solvents. They did dissolve in acetone. I alleviated the condensing of this white shit by keeping my accumulator warmer (40F chiller instead of 22-32F) and went from a 90um to 440um filter.

1 Like

I was told that my white powder from a Apeks line set was wax also. They had as much confidence about it as you do, however it turned out to be 98.6% THC-a

5 Likes

thats interesting, good thing you had it tested. hopefully you were able to adjust your separators to have it land where its supposed to!

2 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

ooh, ooh, i see a trend!

nice data grab

So can you help me out

1. run extractor 200-300 bar@45C for 1-2hr?
  2. Bump up parameter to 300-350bar@35C and run for another 1-2hr?
  3. Set pressure to 100bar
  4. Collect thca out of which vessel?

also fyi im using waters

1 Like

very very dope. good shit dawg!

Should fall out in your first separator. Make sure to drain the contents before you up the pressure.

3 Likes

@Padgett

1 Like

Am I understanding this correct, set the first separator to 100 bar while the extraction vessel is at 300-350 bar? Is there a temperature the separator should be set to as well?

Thanks for your info, I’m interested in trying to make THCa powder using CO2, this post is quite helpful.

1 Like

Yep. I had a majority of my success at 45-50C.

It’s way easier if you’re able to use a cosolvent, but I was unable to in that municipality at the time.

2 Likes

5 Likes

6 Likes

If that’s CO2 only then bravo good sir :clap:

5 Likes