CLS input

hey guys, so im having a little trouble learning the CLS.

i begin by packing the material column, i then vac afterwards, then chill both solvent and column to cryo temps. now heres where the stuff seems to mess up. i open the valve to release the solvent but am only greeted by a soft poot, the gas transfers to the column then the pressures equalize and everything stops ( my solvent pot gauge begins on 0, as its all liquid at this stage and not gas). i can always heat the solvent to add pressure which pushes the solvent but this isnt what i want and takes seemingly forever.

i’ve started to chill everything, solvent pot, column and collection chamber, i then release the solvent and use a vac to pull the cold solvent through my column into the collection pot, this has worked kinda great. once all is finished i open the collection pot and pour off all my solvent to post process after remediation i pour it back in the cryo pot and recover.

any help ?

I wouldnt comment but “soft poot” won me over.

You need a temperature differential to make the solvent move. Your solvent is going to go to the coldest place, make sure that is your collection pot and it will happen. The other option would be using nitrogen in the headspace of your solvent tank to push the liquid out once its chilled below 0psi. But youre gonna need to learn how to burp it back out afterwards.

7 Likes

you can also make the solvent move by gravity. Like @AppalachianExtractor said. You need a solvent temp gradiate to move the solvent. If you have dry ice only in your column. You need your collection to be in dry ice/ denatured Alcohol.

Nitrogen pushing subzero solvent is the easiest way to move it. You dont need gravity or a temp difference. Just push it where you want the gas.

7 Likes

Stop thinking the vac does the work to move everything, it’s not active. That’s really just removing atmosphere.

I think they said it best , use temp to move solvent.
when u said ur gauge is on 0psi…take it out let it build to +10-20psi then inject.

Nitrogen allows u to push that 0psi solvent without having to let it warm up a lil(letting it warm to 10-20psi will still be super cold until you get nitro)

4 Likes
3 Likes

okay another question guys, i used super hot water when doing reclaim to heat the collection chamber, i submerged the vessel in the water and went to sleep, when i woke up this morning i thought i was going to wake up to a 1/2 of some nice clear oil, and instead i woke up to an empty ass pot with a bomb smell, did i cook off all the oil ? is that possible , has it ever happened to anyone ? , i re-ran the same material just to be sure and the tane came thru clear as water leading me to believe there are absolutely no cannabinoids left in the material.

No way you cooked off everything! Would have black muck in bottom if so

Recently had friend have"ghost" run…recovered to absolutely nothing. Although I wasn’t there to confirm he washed it

2 Likes

when i first ran the material the tane was nice and dark when i remediated it the tane was water clear i put it back in the pot to recover over night as i was tired and woke up to zippo, i even tried to scrape and nothing :man_facepalming:

Edit*
gonna try this one more time ill post results and pics in an hr.

1 Like

Sounds like it’s all in your remediation media.

im having a hunch it is. twice now i havent let my celite filter completely dry overnight before using it and i notice a decrease in efficiency, likely because the water gets frozen inside of the celite im guessing, although this time when i mixed in the remediation media ,the solvent which is usually an amber or yellow color, is for some reason dark green now, and usually it went from amber to water clear now its dark green to a beautiful gold.

You need to bake your powders couple hrs before use… 100f-120f should do it

I had bag DE out in my building I tried using one day without drying, it def got frozen pieces in it from humidity I imagine

I didn’t realize you was using crc ,. What media u use and how much?

Okay, in response to all the different issues…

It sounds like you’re running a passive cls. As was mentioned previously, gravity and temperature differentials are your friends here. You will want your liquid butane to drain out, via gravity into your previously packed and vacuumed material column and directly into the collection pot. The solvent tank should be on dry ice until you’re ready to use it, then you’ll flip it upside down and place it above your material column so the butane can freely flow down into the column. Your column should be prefrozen, and if you can find a way to insulate it with dry ice or a cooling liquid you should. The collection pot is to be placed into dry ice, or a cooling liquid to ensure there is no build up of pressure in the collection pot from butane evaporation, which can completely stop your system in its tracks. Once all the butane has had a chance to drain out of the solvent tank it can be isolated from the system, removed, vented, vacuumed down, and finally placed on dry ice, or preferably a cooling liquid solution to prepare for recovery. Once your liquid butane is completely in your collection pot you can connect it to your vacuumed down solvent tank, place it in a pot of recirculating warm water, I prefer not to go above about 40°C, and allow the evaporating butane in the warmed collection pot to travel to the cooled solvent tank.

I do this until my collection pot reaches and holds 0 psi. I can actually achieve negative pressure in my collection put doing only passive recovery, but don’t care for how difficult it is to remove a product purged that much from the collection pot.

You say you reran your crude for remediation. How did you do this?

4 Likes

105 centigrade not Fahrenheit.

Bake your clay over night and silica, too. That definitely helps a great deal.

6 Likes

Soft poot… maybe its the corona or the three dabs rips I just took but that cracked me up… I said soft poot to my lady and she was like ewwe… lmao… thats like silent but deadly?..

2 Likes

i use celite545 and T41 only, with this combination i have been able to achieve the clear, but have been having a hell of a time doing it again i use 4% to solvent vol and i still get yellow. i use the buchner tek tho, i just recently purchased 2 filter stacks which im not gonna lie do improve the overall color of the bho when it first hits my pot.

buchner.

by the way i followed those instructions. Lo- and behold i found the rest of my yield. thanks bro :blush::blush: . i vacced the pot had ice cold solvent upside down and when i turned it on the vac sucked it all out after 15minutes i was surprised at how well it worked.

1 Like