Cloudy?

Hello world.

So I’ve been running a spd for about a month now I’ve been able to make my oil better than my initial stuff. What I’m not sure about is why does my distillate look cloudy/hazy.

I winterize for 24 hours in regular freezer. I just wash my material with ethanol and then carbon scrub it before winterization. Then I slap it on the rotovap and then to short path.

I’m attaching a picture of a small run that I did earlier. I’m okay with the color of the oil I’m just confused why it’s cloudy.

I was thinking that I probably wasn’t winterizing enough and its left over fats Or phospholipids?

I recently bought some cbleach to mix in my boiling flask and I haven’t used it yet.

I just wanted to be sure on how to do it before putting it all in my BF.

The paper states

In the boiling flask
Heat concentrate to 120c
Transfer to spd BF
Slowly add 3-10% clay to Bf
Mix with stir bar
Best mixing results done under light vac

should I do a brine wash to this first pass before distilling with the clay or should I just mix it like how it is in my first pass and should get a more clear oil?
I know there had been tons of post about c bleach but I don’t think anyone has really touched on the boiling flask method other than the fact that it can isomerize to d8.

have you had that tested? it looks very red. My reds were usually wrecked.

Wrecked how?

1 Like

sorry, was on my phone…

wrecked as in subjected to too much heat. aka distilled at too high a pressure, and thus not the 90% Δ9 THC I was looking for…or even the 70% I started with…

and this thread shows the proximal cause for my red distillate.

1 Like

Have you tested to see if you can precipitate more fats with another winterization? The cloudy look is usually from waxes, the red color is from not enough vaccum+too much heat.

1 Like

Are you only doing one winterization pass? I find it requires more than one. If you’e only doing one pass currently try winterizing again and see what I mean.

1 Like

I had two batches that I did yesterday. It was a long day.

First one was that photo I posted and the second run was def less waxy.

I did two different runs the first one being extracted with 200 proof ethanol and the second one was 190 proof ethanol.

What I noticed during winterization that 200 proof had more wax or miso soup looking Is what we like to call it lol the second was with 190 proof and it wasn’t less waxy.

I distilled both of them and the 200 proof was That first image. The second one was as red but it wasn’t waxy it was More clear but as red.

I was runnin at 205c in the main body at .070 torr

I’m gonna run my next batch at a Lower temp and connect 2 pumps.

How Low do I need to be if I want to distill at 156-160?

1 Like

Well you’re below .10 so you should be good. I run a BR rig so less than .10 is pretty routine for me and I hit that 156-160 range pretty much every time.

I’m a CO2 extractor and get all the goodness (meant with the greatest sarcasm) that comes with that. I find that I need at least 3 winterization passes to get to an acceptable level. You may not be picking up as much wax if you’re extracting with ethanol but it’s worth exploring. Then again I have a -80C cryo freezer so I don’t have to wait as long between cycles either.