Closed loop system with dry ice and heated buckets for recovery

Hey guys just wanted some info on my project I got going on. I’m running a closed loop system with 2 columns and I go through about 4 5 butane tanks a day. I’m using hundreds of pounds of dry ice weekly and also alot of heated water for recovery. I read a couple other topics on this site about using less ice and nitro and room temperature butane tanks instead of freezing then to unload into columns. Looking for some insight if anyone can help me with that! Also have a bucket heater which I dont find that handy . I’ve actually put it in the bucket with the pots . Is this bad to do?? Thanks guys !!!

If you’re looking for more info specifically on moving your solvent around without using a pump, then “passive” is your search term. Turns out we didn’t have that as a tag. we do now.

Using an appropriate chiller and a circulating hot water heater works at pretty much all scales. some also add pumps, some don’t.

Unless that bucket heater, and more importantly it’s thermostat are appropriately sealed, they are an ignition source and shouldn’t be anywhere near your collection pots.

If you’re running 4 or 5 pots a day, you ought be playing safety like a professional.

You can build a circulating hot water heater for under $200 using parts sourced at home despot. 1500W element & thermostat. $50 in Black pipe fittings for the boiler (just big enough for the element). Hot water recirc pump. 50-100ft of pex or heater hose so your source of ignition can be stored at a safe distance.

Unless you’re good with machines, you’re better off paying another $50 and using a prebuilt on demand water heater. And a hot water circulation pump.

Which is the same trick used to recover 100l/hr ethanol…

To replace your dry ice, you’ll need to spend real money on a chiller. $15k would not be unreasonable for a quality chiller to hit -70 on a system that size.

You might score it for $2k on eBay.

3 Likes

:face_with_monocle: got your tool box @cyclopath ?:grin:

2 Likes

nope shipped that via ups yesterday.
should arrive right before I do.
wish I could remember where :wink:

3 Likes

Hundreds of pounds of dry ice? Why not just buy a chiller friend? Are you just venting gas to the atmosphere?

It sounds like at the volume you’re producing extract you’ll be losing out on money by not investing in system.

1 Like

Yeah, seems a little excessive. I’m usually buying a 500# poly tote once every 10 days and I’m literally running all day. @cyclopath smells it, that’s why he sent the box beforehand.