Cloning Tek

I’ve been waiting a while to write this one but finally here we are, after running a 12x12 veg room with a 4x8 table and a clone rack in there for 25 strains I think I’ve finally got my cloning dialed in.

This is what’s required, eazy plugs, deep trays, domes and pipettes.
It’s a pain in the ass but the eazy plugs root way better in the deep trays then what they come in, this was discovered by my good friend @anon56994712 and is a key part of the success.
What I do is soak my plugs in 2.5ec 5.5ph athena veg mix, only soak until saturated then remove and plug into the deep tray, no squeezing or shaking the plugs, then drip a drop of rooting gel right into the hole on the plug. The reason for the pipette with the rooting gel is so you don’t contaminate your gel with every cutting.

So then once the cuts are plugged close the dome asap because you want them in a high humidity environment for the next 5 days, humid enough that the domes are visibly wet. What I do is don’t touch them for the first 2 days then after that every day I take the dome off and shake excess water, then at day 5-6 I’ll wipe the excess humidity with a paper towel daily until the domes are removed.

This is what happens when it’s perfect but we all know it’s not always like that, these are 6 days from cutting.

Lately I leave them even longer before opening the vents and sometimes they are already rooted but key is having that high humidity for the first 5 days minimum. For strains that are longer to root around day 6 I open one vent then 2 days later I’ll open the second one.
Now usually its not before day 6 or 7 they need to be re watered unless rooted like these ones, if not rooted then only re water right when they start to dry out not when completely dry.

The main key for all the above to work properly is to have healthy fast growing moms and only clone tops.
This is all done in a 81° 70% room.

Another side note I sanitize everything with bleach including all tools in between all strains.

19 Likes

Down pat :wink:

And looking good!

2 Likes

So then once the cuts are plugged close the dome asap because you want them in a high humidity environment for the next 5 days, humid enough that the domes are visibly wet.

:key:

3 Likes

@WhereAreTheStones better?

1 Like

“Down packed” is actually pretty common now. Not trying to bust your balls. Thanks for sharing your tek with us!

2 Likes

Clone machine with tap water ran 24/7 for ?
Ph adjusted. Cut with roottech
No Birkenstock with sock required.

I have noticed root riot plugs root faster when contained somehow. They fit nicely in a 105 cell tray insert for 1020 web flats.

Thanks for the writeup.

I recently switched to these plugs. I usually double dip cuts into a shot glass to coat the plug with jel, and switch shot glasses between moms, but the pipette is genius.

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Ketchup bottle is easier to use than the pippette. Does same thing with more storage.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Squeeze-Bottle-Condiment-Restaurantware/dp/B0721QBXN7/ref=asc_df_B0721QBXN7/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198077890298&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1352989556548623065&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030019&hvtargid=pla-351503205358&psc=1

1 Like

I get 90% success rate Off of brown squishy plugs regardless of the insert or brand really. I really like clonex and I foliar all my clones and moms with kelp to load them up with hormones that promote rooting.

1 Like