Clear Emulsions/ sonication with quillaja, carrier oil, distillate

I recently purchased an Industrial Sonomechanics turnkey system with two products in mind:
-Translucent nanoemulsions for CBD beverages
-Water “soluble” CBD powder (see attached photo produced in a trial run)

We plan on using the company provided NanoStabilizer formulation to start with, but then playing around with our own Q-Naturale based formulation to cut cost. Bhang sounds awesome but keep in mind one of the main reasons for nanoemulsion is to greatly increase the bioavailability of the cannabinoids. I have read articles that explain the effect of droplet size and carrier oil formulation on absorption kinetics. Of course clarity and stability are important considerations when preparing CBD-water or other clear beverages.

Does anyone have experience taking a nanoemulsions to a powder? In our trial run it was produced using a proprietary mix with bitter blocker (tasted sweet actually). I expect a spray dryer was involved but they claim it can be done in a vacuum oven.

Also has anyone done droplet size testing on their own nanoemulsions? If so what equipment do you use?

Attached is an interesting, detailed article discussing formulation optimization for either a Q-Naturale or a Tween 80/Span 80 formulation. The Tween 80/Span 80 formulation was capable of considerably smaller droplet size. The best carrier oils have high long-chain triglyceride content, such as olive oil or sesame oil.

cannabis extract nanoemulsions.pdf (1.9 MB)

3 Likes