Cleaning socks

How often do you wash your column socks and what do you use?

3 Likes

I wash them after every use. I just stick a bunch of them back into my column, and run a bunch of tane through them. Rinses all that shit right off. For perspective I run 4"x48" columns, I stick about 40 dirty socks in the column and rinse with about 50 pounds of solvent.

3 Likes

How much wax ends up coming out of 40 socks?

Several ounces for sure. It’s pretty much really thick black crude I get off of it

2 Likes

We just fill a bucket with etoh and do a nice soak with some swirling then into the panda or centrifuge :yum:

I throw my socks in with my delicates.

4 Likes

haven’t we had enough of folks airing their dirty laundry in here?

5 Likes

Lmfaooooo
Never enough

1 Like

if you leave the buckets open to atmosphere, the ethanol picks up water…

which seems to make for loads of fun later on in the WFE. never did nail down exactly what was going on, but making “sock wash” hot dog water was not a preferred activity. behavior at decarb seemed to lead to messes more frequently, and wiper would need cleaning more often.

I wasn’t directly involved…I was making dirty socks.

4 Likes

I also wash after every use. Use a stiff tile and grout brush to brush them off, flip inside out and brush again. Roll a bunch up and jam inside column. put a filter stack on top with some coffee filters. (Also filters on bottom of course)

Run solvent from my bulk tank through the socks and distill solvent while cleaning the socks

2 Likes

Best place is to be making the dirty socks :wink: if the ethanol was picking up water we weren’t aware of it’s not noticeable, I’ll try to see if or how much it’s picking up we always use 190 so not 200 so water pick up shouldn’t be that bad correct?