cleaning hot stir plates

what do you all use to clean the brown buildup from your hot plates? Currently using d limonene and it works ok but does not remove all of it. I am guessing it is nearly impossible to get them like new but thought i would throw this out there to see if anyone had any tricks up their sleeves.

Hi Organic,

The guys in our lab use iso or ethanol to clean them up (ethanol works better). As a bonus, you can add some table salt as an abrasive to help scrub off the gunk. Make sure your surfaces are compatible though.

If it were a stainless top and I was in a rush, I’d probably soak a cloth in some stronger solvent (think DMSO or something) and leave it on top. There’s hardly anything organic that DMSO won’t dissolve.

Good luck!

iso wont touch it but i like the salt idea! like cleaning a bong lol thanks man ill give that a shot. I think i still have some dmso laying around ill try that one out too

once that glaze is worn down on the ceramic it becomes porous and easy to stain

4 Likes

exactly lol. my guys use heat guns to make it less viscous as well. Depends if you’re trying to remove stains or actually remove caked on material I suppose. Seconding what Tom said as well.

1 Like