Classroom needs and help wanted :)

Hello everyone,

I am an instructor at a Missouri Community College where I teach a Cannabis extraction course to students over the age of 18. We were lucky to receive a freeze dryer this month from a 4200-community member, that will now allow our students the opportunity to process Rosin’s in class. I am so excited to say the students get to grow their own flower, wash their material, Collect then freeze dry that, then press in a Low Temp heat press… yay!

Students go through the labs to create FEHO, fill capsules, infuse oil, infuse lotion, press flower, and now process Rosin in this class.

I am currently building some of the labs for our fall semester and I realize we are still in need of a few small items and a couple large items to complete their success during the processes. Also understanding that many minds are better than one I’d love to ask the community for help with ideas on processes you wish you would have learned or been shown prior to getting your first job in the industry?

Items in need of in class: -20 to -40 Freezer, Short path distillation unit, Sift screens, Trim scissors, Trim tray, Collection tools/Dab tools, Collection containers, Micron pouches and Terpenes.

If you have any questions or would like to help, please don’t hesitate to reach out!
If you would like to check out what our class is doing, my Instagram page is where I post our class progress @billiejovoyles

Thank you everyone and I hope you all had a great 420 weekend! ocedure before asking for assistance.

11 Likes

Basic “Rick Simpson” style oil with Everclear
Or even cannabutter / coconut oil

These 2 were the foundation for me with extraction

3 Likes

Following!

2 Likes

Awesome. That is really great for your students!

Do you have a budget for some things? I’d like to discuss donating a 2L short path distillation unit or lending one during the time that it will be in use.

7 Likes

Id be interested in donating some terpenes.
I think it would also be a very cool lab/project to distill some terpenes from the students biomass, aswell!

I wish i had this class in college!

8 Likes

Awesome! Following

1 Like

We do both of these, I agree it was such a big part of my comprehension also that I couldn’t see teaching it without having those labs.

1 Like

We don’t have access to any funding until next spring but I am definitely open to paying for one myself and using it in class if I could find a decent deal. I have started a fundraiser for a short path but AI quotes 12k for a new one. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :heart:

2 Likes

Aww I appreciate this, I loved watching this process during extraction on a short path and think the students would understand better if I could show them how it looks, smells and feels but then allow them time to operate the machines before getting hired into the industry also.

Does your community college have a processing license?

3 Likes

CDTs only? Or will you accept Botanical terps?

1 Like

I’d love to show them both not only CDT due to our industry using both, I feel its best we discuss them

My thoughts exactly…

1 Like

3 Likes

Only thing that beats the nerd voice repeat comeback is the retard voice triple repeat comeback.

What you gonna do then?

2 Likes

What size are you looking for? 12k is almost the all in cost of one of my 10-12L systems including the mantle. I would imagine a 2L system makes more sense for you. If you can acquire a 2L mantle and a suitable vac pump (total about 2.5k) I will send you a system that will last you many generations of students.

5 Likes

Damn we live in amazing times

Sadly I live across the pond but applaud your efforts and will figure out a way to help

@BrotanicalMatt what’s up with the go fund for @Davidb it s not a scholarship
But pretty sure this would make him smile even more please check the options

7 Likes

I have a cheap chinese rotary vane pump we aren’t using. Hope it ends up working with your kit.

5 Likes

O brother my mind is at full trothel
With the possibility s of such classes

I deffenatly enjoy the approach of hands down experience
But would recomend to involve some of the sience and math envolved in this trade
Must admit I learned it all the hard way of trail and error
And in highnsight the hardest bridges I needed to cross where understanding the basic sienc e laws involved
Gas laws , material resistance , heat transfer calculations and safety isseus
In general , basic chemistry practice

Yeah I hope more members get involved argg @mitokid (rip) Wish you where here

8 Likes

:green_heart::heart: love this! I do cover potency calculations, GMP, GLP and other forms of safety. We discuss the safety when handing gasses but these are all great things! Thank you so much for the help and adding some thoughts to this post. I am happy to see others find this to be a worth taking course also

6 Likes