Circulating pump issues DLSR low temperature circulator

So I ran my first SPD the other day and all was well until I notice the water reservoir. It had froze over (due to my negligence of setting it to -10 with not antifreeze). I could here the pump for majority of it working away but then it suddenly stopped.

Did I freeze the pipes and ruin my circulator or is there a way to fix this internally? I’ve read theres a breaker switch that maybe it shut off because it was working too hard, etc. Any help would be nice because I certainly don’t want to have to buy another one.

The system I use is the DLSB 5L- 10 C series

First off, you shouldn’t be chilling your SPD. Companies that sell you chillers with the kits are scammers.

Secondly, you may have broke the pump inside your chiller. Fortunately, those DSLBs have a $25 12v pump in them that is very easy to swap out.

Your chiller turns on, cools down, but will not circulate?

4 Likes

That’s exactly it! It turns on and regulates temperature just no pump. Do you know if I have to order directly from them?

Also yeaaah I realized that. Sort of went for it without refreshing material. I should have been running the condense at 120ish c for a while…evidently I wasnt

This is what’s in my dslb -30/30L
[24v hot water pump](Hot Water Pump, DC Water Circulation Pump 24V 18W 11L/Min (2.9gpm) Fitting for Solar Water Heater Hot Circulation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T6JFZQS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2qw9EbEQB2WCT)

You may wanna open yours up and see if it looks similar. Yours might be smaller

1 Like

I couldn’t locate mine in the pump, is it attached above the freon canister?

Pump is usually connected directly to or via a short pipe to the drain hole in the bottom of the coolant/thermal fluid reservoir. May be somewhat covered by insulation you’ll have to remove in order to get a good look at it.

2 Likes

What Green buggy said.

It is right at the bottom of the reservoir. Probably connected right to the outlet valve. It is covered in black insulation.

Anyone got any pointers for a -40 3hp one of these chillers that won’t hit even -25 without any load? The compressor freezes up almost immediately. I’m running meoh in it…

You almost certainly have some load / loss to environment but if it can’t hit -25 without the pump circulating I’d suspect you have one or more of the following issues: dirty condenser, below adequate voltage to unit, fan bearings failing / fan not moving enough air, clogged or obstructed orifice valve, leak or low freon charge.

Post location someone can probably give you a hand or point you to a good HVAC/mechanical contractor that can take a look and help you sort it out. If you’re near Denver I can probably take a look.

3 Likes

Thanks @greenbuggy, I’m in southern Maine. I’ll look into your suggestions.