Chunky eoh thc carts

So we had a batch of carts turn solid.

I just wanted to upload a picture of them to see if anyone has any theories.

We dunk biomass in the freezer, in ethanol. We then filter all sediment out. We then use charcoal to turn it from green to orange. We winterize in the freezer for 2 days. We then fine filter it then rotovap, then spd.

The only difference in this batch from previous batches is that we got ethanol from a different source.

And our freezer is slowly deteriorating and not staying as cold.

Also we are getting chunky stuff in our rotoball.

So I’ve been taking crude out, mix with more ethanol, dry ice bomb it, and refilter and re roto vap it.

My theories is that we are not getting all the fats, waxes out. Or we are pulling a lot of cbd?

I’ve been scouring future 4200 all morning trying to figure this out, so thanks in advance for any input you guys can help me out withIMG-20210225-WA0000

Looks like cbd crystallizing.

2 Likes

EDIT- NVM CBD prob

1 Like

If it’s THC you didn’t decarb. If it’s CBD you did decarb.

5 Likes

How would I go about removing cbd from crude

Does your starting material have any significant amount of cbd in it? I wouldn’t think it would unless you are running a high cbd strain. Most likely it’s just thca that need to be decarbed.

1 Like

Does it get you high?

In order for CBD to crystallize your distillate needs to be 50-60% CBD. If you processed “hemp”, that would be expected…but I don’t get the impression YOU were expecting that.

If you distilled it, as in SPD, then it cannot be thca.

…Unless your operator is the same guy I had making distillate who was certain that one could make distilled water by just leaving tap water in an open container for a day or two…cause just leaving your crude in the boiling flask at rm temp for a couple of days to make distillate would yield thca/crystallizing carts…

2 Likes

You get it to crystallize like that, then spin the fuck out of it in a centrifuge a la YOC Dirty Diamond Tek - THCa isolation from Crude

Of course that won’t yield “gets you high”, or at least not very much…because if you’ve got enough CBD in there to be crystallizing, you’re unlikely to have much more than 5% THC in there.

Do you happen to have analytics on the input?

When I was a kid someone explained me distilled water exactly like that. “If you just leave a cup out overnight it’ll just be distilled water.” That had to have come from something on TV or some common source of information. Needless to say I was very confused when I learned about distillation later in life. Glad I’m not the only one who was told this.

1 Like

Update time:
Recently we got our ethanol from another source
Our ethanol wash was turning red/dark red after filtering with charcoal and this chunky stuff would end up in our roto ball

So I got ethanol from our old source, and so far the wash is going back to orange/dark orange. And so far the roto ball is coming out clean, my balls are finally clean again.

I haven’t decarbed yet, but so far there’s a big difference is color and chunkyness

So I have learn that ethanol can be different, and affect color remediation.

I chose to switch providers to someone that was closer, not cheaper and it was a big mistake. Also both places said the ethanol was 200 proof, pure and not denatured.

1 Like

Post a pic
Sounds like sugars in the roto ball.