Chromatography class

So how would you go about optimizing your separations then?

That’s the problem of someone trying to pass something off as chromatography, when it is not. You become entirely dependent on their technique without any theoretically context. What I described in my post - chromatographic parameters and theory - is applicable to all chromatography techniques - from Thin Layer Chromatography to HPLC to GC. Doesn’t really matter. Its not specific to analytical or a flash system.

It seems @murphymurri is doing some normal phase separation with silica and hydrocarbon mobile phase. So its normal phase , and it kinda works. But is it efficient and optimal? Maybe not. If we think about the products desired , much of them are pretty hydrophobic. But if the aim isn’t to separate but to “group constituents” as broad bands in the column, well I guess you would WANT to select a stationary phase that has poor affinity for the analyses of interest. Lmao, that is not chromatography by definition. But alas, the industry creates meaning where it wants.

Chromatography is chromatography. People can spend their money how they wish. But if you want to optimize without wasting tons of money on endless trial and error, you need the cognitive framework the theoretical background provides.

I dunno - I would rather teach a person to fish rather than have them emulate a technique with little understanding as to why it yields a specific outcome.

Check out chapter on chromatography

1 Like