Chlorophyll in distillation

My sep funnel cracked about a week ago. Would there be another way to do a water wash without one?

I mean safely? I don’t know.

1 Like

Word. I appreciate all the help man you’re always the first to respond. Thank you

Yes… Use a gallon size zip-lock bag to put your solution in, and cut the corner to drain

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

@Macmac: after of course confirming the your solvent(s) of choice are compatible with ziplocks…

not sure that’s in the Tricks of the trade thread, I suggest you go take a look (all kinds of great tips in there…)

4 Likes

Water washing will not remove chlorophyll.

I would stick to carbon filtration, not scrubbing, to maximize the carbons efficiency.

Distillation will handle chlorophyll very well if done correctly

3 Likes

Chlorophyll isnt water soluble?

Dude.

Chlorophyll is more polar than THC but it’s no where near water soluble.

I don’t know where this myth comes from.

1 Like

I’ve always been able to remove those greens and browns with salt water

1 Like

Because wet butane will sometimes give an almost fluorescent green primary extract?

Doesn’t happen with dry solvent.

1 Like

It makes sense that the steps people take when using wet biomass would also preserve chlorophyll in the input material. Freezing and or quickly extracting the material after harvest come to mind.

Does wet butane cause the same problem when the water isn’t from a live plant?

I’d bet it’s a different step in your process that is handling the chlorophyll. Using water to wash chlorophyll from a non-polar solvent doesn’t make any sense if chlorophyll isn’t water soluble.

I’d love to be wrong about this because that would be a very convenient way to prep crude

only time I’ve seen that color in person was not from fresh frozen, it was on a system that didn’t have molsieves.

2 Likes

I’ve seen tons of green hydrocarbon extract. Maybe it was a low quality batch or there was another issue with the system like it was done at high temps, long soaks, etc.

Maybe the water lowers the amount of reds (super non polar) that can dissolve in the hydrocarbon, without effecting chlorophyll as much. That could make the extract a green tint.

Hydrocarbon extract would have to soak for hours to turn green

Also, grinding your material will expose chlorophyll

butane holds just a little water. warm might be part of the problem too…presumably warm butane will hold more water. I do know that folks reporting green hydrocarbon extracts report that tossing the solvent, or adding/regenerating their mol sieves solves the problem. so I blame water for chlorophyl pickup in non-polar solvents.

I documented my attempts to wash the green out of RSO for someone around here somewhere, but I’ve tried a dozen queries and can’t locate it right now. it works a little.

1 Like

I tried this once, can’t say I was successful

“The long hydrocarbon (phytol) tail attached to the porphyrin ring makes chlorophyll fat-soluble and insoluble in water.”

6 Likes

How much should I dilute for carbon filtering? Does it need to be 10:1 like winterizing or can I get away with less ethanol?