Chinese Low Cost Rotovap

I am practicing on Simple Rotovap I got from China before we open up shop. I’ve been making ethanol and I don’t want to loose what I’ve made. The 1st couple days I was following the charts for vacuum saying .0123MPa. Now I realized I turned up the Vac to .05MPa and she’s pulling ethanol faster. Not that fast. About 300ml per hour or less. I have my bath set to 50C. It seems I can set the temp to the even 40C and still get the same results. Also towards the end of the cycle it slows down with ethanol still in the boiling flask. Much appreciated!!!

Live resin with ethanol is not possible

3 Likes

For a Live Resin Carts are you guys using Butane? If so must be really hard to control your CRC to get the perfect color every time. I’m doing hex n chromatography for carts. Please learn me. I’m about two months away. Lot to put under my belt.
You answered my question with some info. I appreciate that. Some more info would be even cooler. Thank You!!

Butane, propane or a blend of the two. Crc live resin? Difficult to crc live resin? Why would it be difficult to crc live vs dry/ cured resin?

It would be harder with older material. The Live is going to be much easier to control and you know what to expect for the most part.
I understand But/Prop for Live no doubt. When it comes to making Live resin carts what is the industry standard? Are you winterizing Live Resin But/Prop oil in ethanol? My question would be how are we getting Live Resin in carts without a decarb? But you never answered my 1st question.

Ethanol has nothing to do with live resin.

3 Likes

nope. spin to separate then decarb thca and add back hte is quite common.

you ARE distilling in your rotovap at the moment, but you should probably not refer to the process as distillation when searching around here (call it “solvent recovery”).

there are a subset of folks who come in here thinking they’re making “distillate” when they remove their solvent in a rotovap…the part they’re missing is that in order to BE distillate, the substance in question must have evaporated and condensed. if you look at your rotovap, it is the ethanol (or hexane) which have been distilled, not the cannabinoids still sitting in your boiling flask.

here, the term distillate is reserved for cannabinoids that have been distilled.

you’re gonna need a lot more read time.
were are you located?

6 Likes

To make sure were on the same page yes. Solvent recovery. I’ll look to see if I can takeoff the distillation tag.
I see what your talking about with Live Resin. Your saying they centrifuge to isolate THCA out?
This path started for me when I beat cancer with oil. 5 years later were working on setting up shop. The grow is already mature. Been around since the beginning of licensing.
I’m practicing using a rotovap at the moment. I noticed a stall in recovery towards the end. Feel free to ask me any questions. Ethanol and Hexane is what’s on deck to start. I’m sure they’ll purchase a Super critical CO2 but I’m not worried about that right now. Filtration and filtration media we got down. Everything is down except mastering the rotovap. Seems like a lot of trial and error?

I changed the post. Thanks brother. I really appreciate you taking the time!!

To be frank. I have about 5 simple questions. One being the Rotovap. If someone who feels they are truly cutting edge wants to DM me for just a few questions.
Thank You

Why not share the Q and A on the open forum? So the forum can serve it’s purpose.

3 Likes

And why get one answer when you can get many with varying nuances. Please answer cyclopath’s question regarding your location, as it matters.

2 Likes

I was hoping you would say that. I’m new. I’m just now reading guidelines and I don’t want to mess up. Much appreciated.
We can start with my rotovap ? At the top of post.

1 Like

Vegas

Is butane/propane the only solvent used for Live Resin concentrates? Or is CO2 considered as well?
Can you get BHO finished with CO2? Ex. Crumble. I would say you can still make it from CO2 as long as it has enough thca?

But you didn’t actually ASK anything in your first post.

Except about live resin. Which was a hard NO!!

(And you’ve since edited it out…but still no question)

2 Likes

You have a very steep learning curve to overcome entering the Las Vegas market now.

3 Likes

@Dr.stanky is correct, you’re in a rather mature market …for Christ sake don’t waste money on co2

2 Likes

I believe I noted above that’s the last piece we’re worried about.lol I’m getting good with my chromatography.

Yep. And it is a horrible move that you should delete from your plan immediately

Show us what you’re calling chromatography….I’m dubious

Had you come in from pharma, I can see you playing with a Rotovap and actually running chromatography before wrapping your head around live resin. I am almost certain you’re NOT running what most would call chromatography

How much C18 do you have on hand?!?

4 Likes