Chilling a jacketed tank with CO2

Anyone have any insight, or links on this? I’m thinking about utilizing CO2 instead of a chiller to get a jacketed butane tank as cold as possible before hitting an injection coil.

1 Like

What up

1 Like

Just trying to get a handle on the specifics, I would assume some sort of pump is needed. Any idea where to source a good one? I’m guessing pushing the liquid through the jacket into an empty tank, and then just swapping which tank the pump is hooked to.

Am I pretty close here?

We used to run CO2 through extraction jackets as it was being vented from other systems, it certainly worked ok enough while venting, but it wasn’t something we were doing continuously. Perhaps if you had a CO2 recycler you could run it in circulation but that would probably be more costly then just using a chiller or dry ice.

1 Like

That’s kinda what I was expecting. I was trying to compare the cost to a -80 chiller.

Probably just gonna go with the chiller.

We just happened to have a recycler and spare parts from an SFE around. We had a stream of LCO2 and gaseous CO2 venting off machines so we figured what the hell might as well run the vent through a jacket on extraction skids. While it was pretty clever, it wasn’t super practical.

1 Like

@Dred_pirate how’s your Lco2 going?

If you’re cycling your gas you’d need to use some kind of pump system (obviously). Then chill your liquid co2 as low as possible (under 15-20c is good, but obviously colder the better). Then the sublimation should hopefully get you to -35c to -40c.

My thread from a while ago should be able to steer you in the right direction.

1 Like

Bizzybee has some Lco2 jacketed systems, I was looking into it for awhile before I decided that cryo is a huge waste of time money and effort

3 Likes

Even for live resin?

2 Likes

The bzb systems aren’t cryo (-180C or colder) but operate at -60C with CO2. This is ideal for live resin. Be careful adding LCO2 to a tank. It’s structural integrity will be very crucial to avoid catastrophic failure.

4 Likes

make sure you’re not making dry ice inside your lines/jacket.

2 Likes

I’ve seen some serious damage done to material columns not designed for LCO2 that were used as such. Good call on that one.

2 Likes

What are the requirements to prevent dry ice formation and the subsequent explosion

1 Like

Very thick steel, haha.

3 Likes

avoid restriction > expansion > restriction

2 Likes

That was with BizzyBee for the class. I do like it, though

1 Like

This is kind of what I vaguely remember about running jackets this way in the past. Just slow steady fills into the jackets but I thought I was making dry ice deliberately/was taught to do. It’s been years since I’ve done it so I’ve never really investigated what I did or didn’t know - but I fully interpreted that as the desired outcome (dry ice). Wild.

I asked ETS and they said they couldn’t get the MEPs peer reviewed/certified to run this way and that the couldn’t officially endorse me doing it but I sort of felt like between the lines… it was kosher. I loved running it on a couple beest’s a few years back, for sure.

What machine are you toying with this idea on? I’m definitely interested in not buying a $50k Huber any time soon.

The MEP, I was contemplating a different tank than the one they sell. Turns out that route, however much cheaper in the long run, does not substantiate the upfront investment.

1 Like