Chillers for 400gal ethanol per day

What using a freezer?

Rowan,

The Cryometrix L-80 Ethanol Chiller can do 1,200 gallons of ethanol in 10 hours and will cost less than the other units you will find out there.

The Cryometrix L-80 Ethanol Chiller can chill 120 gals of Ethanol to -40 °C in 1 hour, and can get to temperatures as low as -80 °C in under 90 minutes. Given your requirement for 400gal in ten hours, the L-80 can get 400 gals ethanol down to -40 °C in under 3 and a half hours. You can even do winterization in our unit.

There are no special electrical requirements, it runs on a standard 110V outlet. And a 20 year warranty on our cooling system.

Please contact us with questions and/or more information.

3 Likes

How much does it cost though.

doubt%20pikachu

Edit: Apparently it can run on 110, @Cryometrix_Chiller conveniently left out that it’ll also burn through 75 gal of LN2 per unit and you’ll have to buy 4 of those units to cool down 400 gallons. There’s no free lunch, and the air liquefaction setup to get that much LN2 sure as shit won’t run on a 110 volt 15A receptacle.

https://cryometrix.com/product-L80

7 Likes

Why not use chiller and a jacketed vessel? A freezer that will be safe & meet code to store flammable solvents going in at room temperature (I.E., above flash point for 190 proof ethanol) isn’t exactly cost effective to get down to cold, much less really cold temps.

A chiller can be remote located well away from your flammable solvents, even outside so it doesn’t make your building even hotter in the summer months…

1 Like

notice their splash page is mentioning their CDB extraction

:rofl:

I’m not familiar with a jacket at Vessel method can you explain it

Assuming that was an autocorrect fail, get yourself a stainless jacketed vessel like this one: https://www.glaciertanks.com/material-processing-vessel-100-gallon.html (doesn’t have to be this one specifically but just an example), hook a suitable chiller to the jacket ports (shown 4th pic from the left), wrap with GOOD insulation, fill chiller up with thermal fluid, fill up the vessel with your warm ethanol, start up the chiller and after a sufficiently long time the alcohol inside the vessel will be cooled down.

Note that this is a drastic oversimplification and IRL you may need to involve a pump or pumps, process mixer, plumbing, insulation, electrical hookup for the chiller and a hundred other topics that have probably been addressed on this forum at some point. A lot of guys on a small scale are using some sort of container inside a freezer that is not rated for flammable solvents, this does not scale when you want to expand your operation, is not safe and will make your local fire marshal VERY unhappy.

2 Likes

The jacketed vessel seems like it would take forever

you need agitation.

1 Like

You ever checked our ice techs chillers? they have a roof unit that can supposedly chill 240 gallons of ethanol an hour for a FFE, Idk if it can reach -80 though

I only wanna go as low s -40 tops.

-80 is so so slow

Define “forever”, OP said he needs 400 gallons in a 10 hr day, that says to me 14 hours to get the warm/room temp ethanol from the previous days work down to temp in order to start the next day. And as I said, my post was a drastic oversimplification, use of agitation or a process mixer will increase the solvent exposure to the jacket and reduce the amount of time it takes to get down to temp.

Sorry for the lack of response, this was my first time on the forum so it would not let me post again within 24 hours. So to cool down 400 gallons, you would not need 4 units was it was chill 120 gallons in less than one hour. So in less than 4 hours you could have 400 gallons ready. We can also make a larger unit that hold 200 gallons.

As far ar the LN2 usage, that depends on the temperature you are running it to. To -40C, it runs less, so about .4 gallons of LN2 per gallon of ethanol you want to chill. And you would NOT set up your own LN2 factory at your plant, you purchase LN2 from a local supplier and get it delivered in a smaller dewar tank. LN2 cost at most $1 per gallon and can get much lower depending on how much you use. If you would like to see a demo of the unit or check it out at a customer site, please let us know.

Other features of our unit include an easy to use touch screen, multi level access for users, tracks and stores all data from each time you run it (temperature, user operations, alarms, etc), 20 year warranty on cooling system automatic fill, chill and drain functions, and can be used for winterization as well. We took all of our technology from building state-of-the-art reliable freezers for the biotech industry and built this unit. We will outperform and outlast any of the competition.

2 Likes

I just like stuff faster is all

@Rowan, I second both the Cryodax as well as the G&D Chillers votes. I have looked into Cryodax and personally have visited G&D’s manufacturing facility (local to me). Only downside to G&D’s units is a large footprint. Everything else I really like. Long history of machines working hard in the field with little maintenance. Also, no crazy weird custom parts. If repair is needed, any regular old refrigerator tech can take care of it with no special ordering. DM me if you want any more info about them. They can customize to meet any needs at the temps you are looking for. Also, they go to -45F (-42.778C).

3 Likes

What chilling capabilities are we talking? I do a lot of machinery distribution

G&D cools via holding tanks? Or flowing ethanol through the system and chilling it that way? Price? Can you give me or info or a contact info? Your the man. Still waiting on that unicorn duct tape lol

They circulate heat transfer fluid I believe. Not on-line cooling