Chillers for 400gal ethanol per day

Just to clarify, the CryoDax systems are all water cooled.

1 Like

This is how I designed my cryo chilling storage system before I worked out my room temperature process. Jacketed vessel is for storage, but it had a recirculating pumping system and an exchanger setup for the actual ethanol chilling.

3 Likes

Ding ding!

in the jacketed vessel, yes.
in your fuge? nope!

I was quoted 60K. With an 8 week lead time.

2 Likes

Hey buddy! Guess even us guys need the spoon occasionally! :wink: :heart:
Nothing but love brotha!

1 Like

Just wanna toss a number on this situation.

400gal*3.785 L/gal = 1200L

1200L*0.789kg/L = 950kg

Q = 950kg2.6kJ/kgK*60K

Q = 150,000 kJ — Power = P = 15,000 kJ/hr = 4.17kW

Get a cooler with 5+ kW of cooling power

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure something isn’t quite right with your math there, I’ve done the math before and remember it being alot higher than 5kw. It’s possible I’m the one who made a mistake as well, but I believe you forgot to factor in the time variable to the equation. I’ll run it on paper tomorrow if you want @Rowan

2 Likes

I need to re-read this thread/

Since I posted this, I have found much much better solutions to cryo.

Cold extraction is a dead end

4 Likes

Will you explain what you are saying…dead end?

He means that it’s cheaper to upscale room temperature extraction and refinement, so that chilling large volumes of solvent is not required. Maybe this will make sense:

Upscaling a cold biomass extraction method by a factor of “x” costs a factor of “y,” and upscaling by a factor of “2x” costs a factor of “2y” (this isn’t true to hardware, but it absolutely is for heat transfer which translates to power consumption) … whereas upscaling a room temperature biomass extraction with (further processing prior to distillation) by a factor of “2x” may yield “(1.5)y.” And upscaling that room temperature extraction by a factor of “3x” may yield “(1.75)y” for example.

Dunno if that makes any sense to you, but the idea is that the relationship is not linear and directly proportional.

3 Likes

Totally, thanks for explaining.

Niche?

1 Like

I can design a system to pre chill you solvent. And create a dual heat exchanger with a pre cool feature and a low temp storage. I just designed it for one of my customers. He’s using 250 gallon tanks

3 Likes

as built cost?

I have to see your layout pounds of biomass per day etc. call me tomorrow

Dave Care
714-335-1556. :blush::+1:

1 Like

(meme voice) We have the technology…:

44-102 GPH of ethanol to -48 to -60 Deg C depending on model and options.

https://www.greenprocess.solutions/
https://www.greenprocess.solutions/2020/01/13/40-ton-refrigeration-system/
https://www.greenprocess.solutions/2020/01/13/2-5-4-ton-refrigeration-system-spec-sheet-quote/

Maybe try ecodyst. They are located in Apex, NC. Only heard good things from them. I can get you a reps phone number super knowledgable.

I know things are moving fast in this field.
Care to elaborate?

1 Like

PermaCool!! Hit up Glen!!!