Chillers are heating up our lab way to much, need some exhaust ideas

Gravel should work way better than asphalt! I swear the parking lot outside my first extraction spot felt more like Vegas than Eugene. At one point I had “cooling” water for my still coming in from a hose out there that was at 35C…didn’t work worth a damn :confused:

3 Likes

Yeah, you might not be able to hit -80 if your ambient is +30 (celcius). There’s a chance you might need to cool your cooling room. Maybe keep that in mind if you need to upgrade your upgrade so to speak.

1 Like

This right here is why water cooled systems are the bomb. Our cooling tower does cost a bit to run but it handles a shitload of cooling

3 Likes

Cooling towers are amazing , we use one on a FFE. Are their models though that go to -80c?

Certainly not on their own. We have an 800 ton tower paired with a 215 ton chiller but the minimum temperature is dictated by the wet bulb temp. We also use ours to chill irrigation water and other loads using a setup called a waterside economizer.

1 Like

The best working environment temperature of the chiller is 25 degrees. If the space is large, it is suggested that it will be very helpful to have a fan blowing into the chiller while turning on the air conditioner.

1 Like

without knowing the spec on your chiller it is hard to say exactly, but assuming the hot air discharge it off the top you could having an exaust vent like this built

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8AALaAhSy5/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Your HVAC contractor will want to know what the CFM is off the chillers and may have to account for the discharge to balance your entire HVAC system.

Long story short, this is definitely a job for a good HVAC company

1 Like

Found the right HVAC company . What does the ambient temperature need to be ? I have two options 63-65f or 70f. The 63-65 is obviously a lot more .

That’s honestly a pretty good question to ask the manufacturer. Normally design condensing temperature is based on being able to condense the entire swept volume at design evaporator temperature with some amount of subcooling, but that can be very compressor/refrigerant dependent.

The way to look at is this: sometimes you have a lot less density going into the compressor at design temp because the pressure is lower. That means the condenser is actually seeing a lot less refrigerant than on its way down to design temp. On the other hand, lower evap temp means higher compression ratio and hotter refrigerant going into the condenser, which in some cases (like high CR r404a systems) will actually offset the reduction in mass that needs to be phase changed.

Then the biggest issue is how one company happens to set their design temps versus another. While it would be nice if the design temps (evap and condenser) reflected the rated loads, they almost never do.

Now, the colder the room is, the better the system will work always. But what you want to know from a cost standpoint is how cold it needs to be to not reduce how much refrigerant the system can condense. If you go colder, you’ll be adding subcooling, which will make the system slightly more effective but not nearly enough to justify adding capacity to cool the whole room.

2 Likes