Chiller Recommendation

You’re going to need to get ahold of some sparkies and get more electricity in there. If electricity is a problem for you to get more of, I’m going to derail your plans a little. All high powered chillers are going to want a butt load of current.

Lc02. This is where I’ll derail your plans. One, you probably won’t find an efficient chiller that will do everything you want unless you are going to be looking at the unistat 815/915 and those are f00kin expensive. That bad boy can do what you are asking. Otherwise you’re going to need more chillers. Back to lc02. Liquid C02. It’s extremely cold and boils off cold as all negative hell. You can get a bizzybee or an nboler lc02 passive system. They are rated (and reviewed) for such pressure. Instead of using a chiller to keep things cold or for recovery. Lc02 is more than capable of all of this. You can have a dewar installed outside and your Praxair/airgas guy can come by whenever you want and fill her up. You’ll have a line fed to your machine, in the places you’ll need to keep cold. Zero electrical requirements. Except for the vacuum pump to pull down your system and you can keep that single phase for a heater circulator for your recovery.

Passive is far faster and more efficient. If you were to attempt to keep up with passive with active recovery, you’ll need to spend over 20k in pumps, just to possibly keep up, maybe. And it’s dead silent, just vapors.

6 Likes

My passive setup.

@710ST builds for bizzy, he might be able to chime in where I’m not filling in correctly

6 Likes

Where can we find ‘bizzy’ and ‘nboler’ products?

(Although we may not need them.)

Good or bad, we’ve committed to the active recovery path.

We don’t need to create the same pressure differential to evaporate off the solvent. We can push our solvent back into our supply tank.

Never considered the idea of using the thermal shift of liquid CO2 in phase change in this application. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Still like to learn more about it. Advice on search terms?

Bizzy doesn’t have a website currently. I don’t think.
Nope

If you are on IG you can find some of his guys on there and they can get you info on the phase change. Different pressures will equal different temperatures.

But all his systems are lc02. So are nboler’s. They are build with thicker steel and rated welds to withstand the pressure.

And what do you mean push your solvent into the supply tank?

3 Likes

@Dred_pirate As I understand it, passive systems have a supply tank and a recovery tank.

In our active system, we’re recovering into the same tank as we supply from. The pumps (while not ideal) can generate positive pressure downstream. That is what I was referring to when I said “push”.

Are the passive systems as simple as injecting liquid CO2 into the spool surrounding a condenser coil, and allowing the phase change to steal the thermal energy from the LPG in the coil?

What is regulating the process?

N.B.Oler AHHHHH… I’ve been on his site before. Thanks.

I only use one tank… I keep my solvent around -75 and nitro assist. I remove the nitro before recovery. No need for a second tank. My bosses would defecate themselves if I had to have two of those.

5 Likes

Clearly I’m not up to speed on passive systems. I’ll have to look at that photo of your system more closely.

Thanks.

1 Like

The big brown tank is my nitro tank. My solvent is the big Shiney one behind it

3 Likes

What’s on the bottom of you dewaxer?? Is that some sort of filter??

Like the setup. Simple and effective. especially passive

1 Like

Filter stack, ya. I prefer to dump and filter instead of filters hanging out in my dewaxing chamber. I have something that I’m going to melt down and send into the dewax chamber and dewax it. It was a few fresh frozen slabs that got lost and sugared up. So I’m going to melt em and dewax it, then make some diamonds or batter.

Tall skinny column is material. Insulated is the dewax chamber.

3 Likes

Good explanation of LC02 use @Dred_pirate! As for replacing the CO2 with a chiller that can be tricky. Like you mentioned before you’d want something along the lines of a 915 etc. It’s really hard to beat the raw cooling power of LCO2 though.

2 Likes

Hey DP, what chilling fluid are you using to get to that temp in the 30/80?

Straight ethanol. They say 50/50 methanol/ethanol. It doesn’t make a difference when I asked em.

Thanks, yeah I have ethylene glycol in them now and have thought running pure ethanol should help, definitely swapping it out now.

Are you using the same chiller?

you need to use ethanol in the -80. pure eg freezes at -12c, water and eg mix freezes at -45c. I can imagine its turning to slosh in the chiller.

let’s say a 5liter short path ?

For what? I’d love to have a 5L spd…

1 Like

I’m buildi g out a 5liter spd now and looki g at different chillers nout only for now but for later usage on different application when needed.

1 Like

Depending on what part of the spd. Cold traps you can get an immersion chiller for them. Or are you using it for your laminar coil, or similar