Chiller recommendation for small BZB

You want a NEMA 4 rating on that enclosure, if its placed outdoors. 3R could have leaks in a rain storm/dust storm.
Otherwise, looks good to me.
You need to know that if your ambient temperature raises above 90°f ambient, your chiller will decrease in KW capacity exponentially/logarithmically, not linear decreases.
Eg, drastically less KW capacity if your package is in 100°f ambient, rather than the rated ambient.
They can provide you graphs with the calculated KW at your temperature at your average ambient, if you request directly.

2 Likes

You also need to calculate the loss across the chiller loop you are running, the insulation you use for your chiller lines will have thermal coefficient ratings, and you need to use an equation to calculate the thermal loss across the span of your chiller lines.

Always oversize your components, if you can afford it.

1 Like

Is it better for something like the gd to go outside or inside in a ventilated room?

It’s for New Hampshire so not many days above 90 this year anyway

Great advice thank you.

How does that compare to this?

(Warrantees are great…)

have you done your due diligence on the maths?

The ULTIMATE chiller calculator thread

1 Like

Yes the other brand is ultralow has higher kw capacity than the 915 and costs about half.

I

1 Like

Funny you say that… You know I was LITERALLY a refrigeration engineer and built refrigeration equipment FOR NASA AND JPL! So yeah, I know what that’s like. Also built systems for Alcatel and Lawrence Livermore, including cryostats that reached 10K and below. Couldn’t have chosen a more perfect ruler to measure dicks with

I later went to work with Emerson Copeland developing transcritical refrigeration cycles. After that I ran an OEM manufacturing cascade chillers. Then I got into cannabis and most recently I’ve been installing thousands of tons of screw and centrifugal chillers. In other words, I am pretty qualified. You can disagree with me like all you want, but I’m pretty sure it’s in the best interest of anyone reading here to ignore the uninformed bullshit you’re selling as gospel truth.

13 Likes

The one bonus of the high price tag of the Hubers. Is that warranty. If they can’t diagnose and fix it remotely. They will be there within 48 hours to fix it in person. Certain parts two years, other parts three years. And depending on the equipment you have, they may even extend that warranty. Which, I would gladly take. Most of the other ones will have to be sent out, or pay a technician to do the repairs and the parts are covered by the manufacturer and they pay you for the tech.

2 Likes

Not disagreeing with you, I am literally proving you have no idea about the engineering behind what you are talking about…
Everyone reading this, go do your own research to get to your own conclusions; is loading an HVAC system to its maximum potential a good idea?

Do you think ANY compression system will be running at peak efficiency using their maximum RPM/load capability?

With HVAC compressors, you will be running their maximum duty cycle if you only size your chiller to your exacting KW/Tonnage you need to achieve.

I have no Idea why you think you are correct with what you are saying, maybe because you end up getting your clients to use you more when they need to have their ‘perfectly sized’ systems repaired all the time.

You say you have engineered these systems, but all you do is dick swing how you are correct in your own beliefs/experience…
Do you know what a duty cycle is?
Do you know what an efficiency curve is?

LOL I remember taking over being the director for a public entity that is in the cannabis sphere that somehow thought placing 3 MTA’s, and 3 Unistat 815’s in a 150 square foot room was a good idea.

We had nearly 10 Tons of Split AC cooling that room and it was still hot as a motherfucker in that place…

Place it outside, ask them to make it a NEMA 4.

3 Likes

Idk how else to change your mind. Maybe you’re just ignorant to different perspectives.

My Tesla agrees with me :man_shrugging:t5:

Seems to be a few round here like that lately.

Electric motors generally make peak efficiency at rated RPM, so yes but there are very few systems that actually have variable motor speeds.

With large chillers specifically, it works like this:

First, if you’re comparing apples to apples, fix the condenser temp and evap temp and total btu/hr (otherwise we’re not comparing the same load/system). That means the same amount of refrigerant is being compressed across the same pressure differential. Take 1 chiller rated at N tons, and another rated at 2N tons.

The smaller unit has less friction loss, fewer starts and stops, less time at load/unload where the compressor isn’t really doing any work etc. If this is your idealized comparison, the smaller chiller is using more power to do process work and less to just “idle”

To your other points, it’s worth noting that scroll, hermetic, screw and centrifugal compressors are absolutely capable of and designed to run at 100% duty cycle. They are cooled by the process fluid and so if load is constant, they settle into a steady state temp within 2-3 minutes where they remain unless load is altered. In fact, short cycling from oversized systems is responsible for more premature failure because frequently oil can’t return to the compressor between cycles and lubrication failure at startup causes burnouts.

I love learning and educating myself, and I’m always happy to accept that I’m wrong if it means I’m better for it. When it comes to dick swinging, I normally don’t fly off the handle. I thought I wrote two very solid explanations to clarify some confusion about these systems, and got told “you don’t know what you’re talking about”. Then you retorted with information that is diametrically opposed to fact, and it set me off.

Lastly, because Huber costs a fuckload of money does not mean their engineering is spot on. We used to use them at IPG photonics in laser applications that were much more precision dependent and had less load. They still fail. Usually stupid stuff from being over featured (not a bad thing if holding 1f is worth not breaking $200k in optics), sometimes just from leaks.

2 Likes

Lol that’s legitimately hilarious. Again, if a manufacturer designs their equipment to exceed reasonable operating parameters, that’s a problem. 10:1 CR normally, 15:1 with liquid or vapor injection.

3 Likes

You don’t know what a VFD is, do you?

We’re not in the 1990’s where single speed rated motors dominate the market.

I’d say only 15% of refrigeration system actually vary motor speed because of the cost of 200+ HP VFDs. The rest use slide valves or equivalent to unload the compressor. Do they make units with VFDs? Absolutely. Are they common? No

4 Likes

Your posts have been exceptionally douchey lately.

You are not the smartest person in the room ALL the time. Its okay to be wrong ya know, it gives you the opportunity for growth.

Just saw this reply after I posted. You rock!!

12 Likes

Do you have a link? Google being a ho with that search term.

Exactly. Running as cold as you can is cool and all but excessively cold temps don’t add to quality, yield or consistency. The solubility range I’m looking for is right at -20/-30. Wrecking chillers is another good reason not to go as excessive on the cooling. It’s just silly to me when communication breaks down to “well I make the best quality blah blah blah” and then when asked if they’ve ever done what you’re saying you do every day they just drop the conversation. Like damn, very informative forum here. No wonder why future4200 has such a good rep